Resveratrol is one of my favorite supplements, especially the liposomal variety. I use this for increasing the amplitude of my circadian rhythm, increasing energy production and for anti-inflammatory effects. Resveratrol makes me feel like I have excess energy.
- Introduction to Resveratrol
- What I Use
- 1) Resveratrol is Anti-Aging
- 2) Resveratrol is Neuroprotective
- 3) Resveratrol Contributes to Heart Health
- 4) Resveratrol Benefits Glucose Balance
- 5) Resveratrol Combats Obesity
- 6) Resveratrol Helps Bones
- 7) Resveratrol May Prevent Cancer
- 8) Resveratrol Helps With Liver Health
- 9) Resveratrol Helps Muscle Growth
- 10) Resveratrol Protects Against Radiation
- 11) Resveratrol Prevents Hearing Loss
- 12) Resveratrol Increase Sex Hormones
- 13) Resveratrol Induces Autophagy
- 14) Resveratrol for Acne Treatment
- 15) Resveratrol Helps Fight Infections
- 16) Resveratrol Increases Sensitivity to Vitamin D
- When to Take Resveratrol
- What I Use Resveratrol For
- Resveratrol Synergies
- The Best Type of Resveratrol to Buy
- Food Sources of Resveratrol
- Side effects
- Technical Information on Resveratrol
Introduction to Resveratrol
Resveratrol came to scientific attention during the mid-1990s. Since then, it has been touted by manufacturers and examined by scientific researchers as an antioxidant (R), an anti-cancer agent, and a phytoestrogen (R). Commonly called “The French Paradox in a bottle.”
Resveratrol is a beneficial compound found in red wine that is associated with life extension and some of the health benefits in wine. It is produced in grapes as a defense against toxins, and is abundant in the skins.
What I Use
Nitro250 Micronized Resveratrol is a new resveratrol product that has up to 10x the absorption of most other resveratrol’s due to it’s small size. I’ve been experimenting with this resveratrol lately and I’m impressed, which is why I decided to put it on the store. I’ll most likely continue with this product for a long time.
1) Resveratrol is Anti-Aging
Resveratrol is effective in inhibiting or reversing some of the effects of aging like osteoporosis, sarcopenia, mental processes decline, etc…(R).
2) Resveratrol is Neuroprotective
Resveratrol appears to reduce seizures and hippocampal neurotoxicity in animal models (by suppressing kainate receptor signaling) (R).
Resveratrol induces the antioxidant enzyme, heme-oxygenase 1, which is linked to neuroprotection (R).
3) Resveratrol Contributes to Heart Health
Resveratrol has been demonstrated to reduce blood pressure in people at risk for heart disease (R).
Resveratrol has been investigated for its contribution to heart health after a meta-analysis first found a significant risk reduction associated with 1-2 glasses (150-300 ml) of wine daily (R).
Resveratrol is anti-atherogenic (reduces the formation of plaque in arteries) (R).
4) Resveratrol Benefits Glucose Balance
Resveratrol can be useful in preventing and treating diabetes (R).
5) Resveratrol Combats Obesity
Resveratrol can cause the death of fat cells (R).
6) Resveratrol Helps Bones
Resveratrol increases bone cells by redirecting stem cells from becoming fat cells (R), which may increase bone health.
7) Resveratrol May Prevent Cancer
It has shown promise on skin cancers when used on the body surface of mice (R).
Resveratrol is effective against esophageal cancer when ingested orally in rats (R).
Resveratrol’s anti-cancer effects come, in part, from its regulation of the topoisomerase II enzyme (R).
Resveratrol inhibits the growth of Leukemia cells (R).
8) Resveratrol Helps With Liver Health
Resveratrol prevents and improves Nonalcoholic Fatty liver disease (NAFLD) (R)
It prevents liver damage in sepsis (R).
9) Resveratrol Helps Muscle Growth
Resveratrol has positive effect on muscle growth (R).
Resveratrol supplementation enhances aerobic performance (R).
10) Resveratrol Protects Against Radiation
Resveratrol has a good anti-radiation effect (at 100 and 300 mg/Kg concentration) (R).
11) Resveratrol Prevents Hearing Loss
Resveratrol has a protective effect on noise-induced hearing loss (R).
Resveratrol also prevents toxicity of ear caused by cisplatin (a chemotherapeutic agent used to treat cancer) (R).
12) Resveratrol Increase Sex Hormones
13) Resveratrol Induces Autophagy
14) Resveratrol for Acne Treatment
Resveratrol gel showed positive results in treatment of Acne in humans (R)
15) Resveratrol Helps Fight Infections
Resveratrol inhibited herpes virus infection of ducks, geese etc. (R).
Resveratrol inhibited the Influenza virus (R).
Resveratrol has shown to inhibit the activity of Epstein-Barr virus (R).
Resveratrol has shown to inhibit Herpes simplex virus-1 and Herpes simplex virus-2 (HSV-1 and HSV-2) (R).
Resveratrol has shown to inhibit the Respiratory Syncytial virus in mice (R).
Resveratrol showed activity against Human Immunodeficiency virus-1 and was synergistic with decitabine (R).
Resveratrol also inhibited Varicella zoster and Enterovirus 71 (EV 71) (R).
Resveratrol inhibited African swine fever virus in-vitro (R).
Resveratrol inhibited Human rhinovirus (HRV) and Cytomegalovirus (R).
Anti-fungal activity of Resveratrol
Antibacterial activity of Resveratrol
Resveratrol showed antibacterial activity against MRSA in humans (Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus) (R).
Resveratrol showed antibacterial activity against E.Coli (R).
Resveratrol inhibited the growth of Propionibacterium acnes, the bacteria which causes acne (R).
Resveratrol had an antibacterial effect on Haemophilus ducreyi (R).
Resveratrol inhibited Arcobacter butzleri and Arcobacter cryaerophilusa (R).
16) Resveratrol Increases Sensitivity to Vitamin D
When to Take Resveratrol
You must take resveratrol first thing in the morning.
What I Use Resveratrol For
I use resveratrol to improve circadian rhythm amplitude. Increasing your circadian amplitude results in increased energy in the day time and increased tiredness at night.
When I take resveratrol first thing in the morning, I feel much more energetic that day.
Resveratrol increases circadian amplitude by increasing SIRT1. I take it with Niagen NAD+.
Resveratrol, when taken along with few compounds, shows enhanced functioning.
Since resveratrol increases SIRT1, taking with Niagen NAD+ will make it work more effectively, by increasing SIRT1 activity.
Quercetin was also synergistic with Resveratrol in the protection of blood vessels (R).
Synergism between D-Glucaro-1,4-Lactone and Resveratrol has also been noted in preventing skin cancer occurrence when ingested orally (R).
This synergism has also been noted in regards to preventing skin cancer in mice (R).
The Best Type of Resveratrol to Buy
After doing some research and experimentation, I have found that liposomal resveratrol is the most effective. I spoke with the owner of the linked company and the product is good quality, even though the labeling is cheap.
This liposomal resveratrol is the most affordable on the market and also the purest. He doesn’t add in any other ingredients and it’s soy free.
Buy: Micronized Resveratrol
Most supplements contain 50-500 mg of Resveratrol, but to get the dose equivalent in some animal studies people will have to consume 2 gm or more per day (R).
Many leading Resveratrol researchers believe that 5 mg of Resveratrol per Kg of body weight is the suitable amount for human intake. So for a 150 pound person (68 kg), this translates to 340 mg of resveratrol per day (R).
I personally take about 500 mg of resveratrol (I’m about 70 kg), which equates to roughly 3 teaspoons or 15 gm of the liposomal form.
Some studies showed that taking 150 mg of Resveratrol once daily for 30 days significantly lowered sleeping and resting metabolic rate (R).
Food Sources of Resveratrol
Resveratrol can’t be found in meaningful concentrations in food. However, here are some foods which have resveratrol:
- Resveratrol is found in the skin of red grapes (R). The richest source of resveratrol comes from the red grapes of Spain (1.89 mg per five ounce glass) (R).
- One cup of Boiled Peanuts contains 1.28 mg of Resveratrol (R).
- Peanut Butter contains up to 13 mg per cup of Resveratrol (R).
A study revealed that 500 mg tablets are well tolerated by healthy men and women (R)
- Resveratrol binds to iron, so if you’re anemic that could be a problem.
- If taking medications that change the liver such as Mevacor, Nizoral, Sporanox, Allegra and Halcoin avoid this supplement (R).
- HIV protease inhibitors and immunosuppressants (R).
- Erectile dysfunction medications
- Anti-viral or Anti-fungal medications
- Herbal supplements St Johns Wort, Garlic, and Ginkgo biloba.
- If taking any medications that slow blood clotting like Aspirin, Clopidogrel (Plavix), Diclofenac (Voltaren, Cataflam), Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn), Dalteparin (Fragmin), Enoxaparin (Lovenox), Heparin and Warfarin (Coumadin) (R).
- Resveratrol should be stopped at least two weeks before surgery (R).
Technical Information on Resveratrol
- Resveratrol induces Super oxide Dismutase (SOD) (R).
- Resveratrol increases Glutathione peroxidase (R).
- Resveratrol induces Heme-oxygenase 1 (R).
- Resveratrol induces Catalase (R).
- Resveratrol decreases iNOS (R).
- Resveratrol decreases Myeloperoxidase (R).
- Resveratrol induces Heme-oxygenase 1 (R).
- Resveratrol increases Glutathione reductase (R).
- Resveratrol increases the activity of NRF2 (R).
- Resveratrol decreases NADPH oxidase (R).
- Resveratrol decreases Lipid peroxides (R).
- Resveratrol inhibits cyclooxygenases and lipoxygenases (R).
- Resveratrol inhibits the NF-kB pathway (R).
- Inhibits HMGB1 (R).
- Resveratrol inhibits STAT3 and STAT5 (R).
- Resveratrol stimulates Endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) (R).
- Resveratrol increases PON1 (R).
- Resveratrol inhibits PDE (R)
Antimicrobial activity of Resveratrol
- Resveratrol regulates PML-NBs (R).
- Resveratrol inhibits DNA gyrase (R).
- Resveratrol induces ROS (Reactive Oxygen Species) (R).
Resveratrol and Hormonal effects
- Increases the activity of Steroidogenesis acute regulatory protein (StAR), which increases hormone production (R).
- Resveratrol downregulates Poly ADP-ribose (R).
- Resveratrol increases Glucose 6 phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) (R).