Lactobacillus reuteri is one of the most studied strains of probiotic bacteria, boasting a variety of proven health benefits. From improving your looks to increasing Vitamin D, L. reuteri is worth checking out.
- Introduction to Lactobacillus reuteri
- The L. Reuteri That I Recommend
- 1) L. Reuteri Promotes Sex Appeal
- 2) L. Reuteri is Anti-Inflammatory
- 3) L. Reuteri Lowers Stress and Pain Perception
- 4) L. Reuteri Increases Vitamin D
- 5) L. Reuteri Helps Gut Health
- 6) L. Reuteri Fights Candida
- 7) L. Reuteri is Good for the Thyroid
- 8) L. Reuteri Lowers Cholesterol
- 9) L. Reuteri Speeds Wound Healing
- 10) L. Reuteri Protects Against Infections
- 11) L. Reuteri Promotes Oral Health
- 12) L. Reuteri Produces Vitamin B12
- 13) L Reuteri May Help in Autism
- L. Reuteri is Controversial When it Comes to Obesity
- Additional Reading
- Where to Buy
Introduction to Lactobacillus reuteri
Its name comes from German microbiologist, Gerhard Reuter, who discovered it in samples of human intestine and feces in the 1960s.
Different strains of L. reuteri have been shown to have different physiological effects. For example, L. reuteri DSMZ 17648, trademarked “Pylopass” is used for h. pylori (R), while L. reuteri NCIMB 30242, trademarked “Cardioviva” is used to address high cholesterol (R).
Check these options out:
The L. Reuteri That I Recommend
1) L. Reuteri Promotes Sex Appeal
Animal research on an L. reuteri strain called ATCC PTA 6475 has shown potential for improving skin quality (thickness and “glow”) and creating thick, lustrous hair (R).
The probiotic improved skin and hair quality in both sexes, but in females caused a dramatic improvement in the level of shine of their hair. The L. reuteri caused females to have a more acidic pH, which was found to correlate with hair luster (R).
Therefore, L. reuteri bacteria may restore women’s skin and hair to youthful splendor (R).
When translated into human terms, an acidic pH in the vagina correlates with the time of peak fertility, estimated to be around age 25 (R).
L. Reuteri’s ability to increase testosterone and lower inflammation can potentially benefit implications for male pattern baldness. High IL-17 inflammation can inhibit hair growth, and L. reuteri has been shown to suppress IL-17 (R).
2) L. Reuteri is Anti-Inflammatory
L. reuteri inhibits NF-κB, one of the most important factors in reducing whole-body inflammation (R). To learn more about NF-kB, read my post, How To Inhibit NF-kB: The Key To Health And Master Control of Inflammation.
Note: L reuteri may not be good for histamine intolerance.
3) L. Reuteri Lowers Stress and Pain Perception
L. reuteri ingestion impacts the nerves in such a way that it may slow gut motility (improving cases of diarrhea) and decrease pain perception (R).
4) L. Reuteri Increases Vitamin D
5) L. Reuteri Helps Gut Health
L. reuteri switches our bacteria’s primary food source from sugar to tryptophan, which helps produce serotonin, and protects our gut from infections. This lessens susceptibility to gut problems and IBS (R).
Infants also increased bowel frequency even at a dosage of 100 million cfu (colony forming units) (R).
L. reuteri also decreases incidence of diarrhea in children (R).
6) L. Reuteri Fights Candida
7) L. Reuteri is Good for the Thyroid
8) L. Reuteri Lowers Cholesterol
Another study used microencapsulated L. reuteri NCIMB 30242 yogurt taken twice a day over 6 weeks by adults with high cholesterol. Results included a reduction of LDL by 8.92% and total cholesterol 4.81% over the course of the study (R).
L. reuteri lowers cholesterol, in part, by reducing the absorption of bile (by increasing the deconjugation of bile in the intestines) (R).
9) L. Reuteri Speeds Wound Healing
Supplementing the rat microbiome with L. reuteri in drinking water cuts wound-healing time in half compared to control animals (R).
10) L. Reuteri Protects Against Infections
L. reuteri potently protects against Salmonella, cutting mortality rates in mice, chickens and turkeys in half (R).
A 2-week treatment with L. reuteri DSM17648 significantly reduced h. pylori overgrowth in otherwise healthy adults (R).
11) L. Reuteri Promotes Oral Health
L. reuteri fights major cavity-producing bacteria (R).
Chewing gum containing L. reuteri decreased plaque and bleeding from the gums in two weeks (R).
L. reuteri lozenges were shown to fight oral candida in a study of older patients (R).
12) L. Reuteri Produces Vitamin B12
13) L Reuteri May Help in Autism
In an animal model of social deficits in offspring, L. reuteri was found to be 9X lower. Supplementing with it significantly improved sociability and preference for social novelty in these offspring (R).
L. Reuteri is Controversial When it Comes to Obesity
In a study of both humans and mice, a Western ‘fast food’ diet caused changes in gut bacteria, accumulation of belly fat and Th17 dominance. The addition of Lactobacillus reuteri ATCC 6475 with no change in diet prevented age-associated weight gain by reducing the Th17 inflammation (R).