DHEA is usually praised for its anti-aging properties. It can protect the heart and improve brain function. However, there are some drawbacks to DHEA supplements as well. Read more below to learn all you need to know about DHEA and DHEA-sulfate.
- Introduction to DHEA and DHEA-S
- The DHEA Supplement That I Take
- Health Benefits of DHEA and DHEA-S
- 1) DHEA Boosts Hormone Levels
- 2) DHEA Improves Brain Function
- 3) DHEA Protects the Heart
- 4) DHEA Helps Increase Pregnancy Rate
- 5) DHEA and DHEA-S Helps With Weight Problems
- 6) DHEA Lowers Insulin Resistance
- 7) DHEA Helps Protect Against Inflammation
- 8) DHEA Improves Sleep
- 9) DHEA Improves Bone Health
- 10) DHEA Protects Muscles
- 11) DHEA Relieves Problems Resulting from Menopause
- 12) DHEA May Protect Against Colon Cancer
- 13) DHEA Helps with Lupus
- Negative Effects of DHEA
- Technical Information
- Buying DHEA
- Testing for DHEA
- Amazon’s Bestsellers
Introduction to DHEA and DHEA-S
DHEA is a steroid hormone that is produced in the adrenal gland, gonads, and brains. It is a precursor to other hormones, namely estrogen and testosterone. DHEA levels are highest after birth, and continue to lower as you age (R).
DHEA-sulfate (DHEA-S) is a sulfite derivative of DHEA. The body also turns it into androgen hormones. Not a lot of studies have been done on DHEA-S and its long term effects, so it is not recommended for supplementation (R).
The DHEA Supplement That I Take
Health Benefits of DHEA and DHEA-S
1) DHEA Boosts Hormone Levels
DHEA can be used to help alleviate sexual dysfunctions that are the result of poor hormone levels (R).
2) DHEA Improves Brain Function
DHEA also enhances emotional regulation of memory and the connections between the amygdala and hippocampus (memory center) (R).
In the rat model of Alzheimer’s, DHEA supplement reduced symptoms and improved memory (R).
DHEA levels in the brain controls visual processing. It is involved with the amygdala-dependent changes of the brain and visual awareness and attention (R).
It improved depressive symptoms in young patients (R).
3) DHEA Protects the Heart
Low levels of DHEA are associated with heart disease in men (R).
DHEA also reduced high blood pressure and lowered cholesterol (R).
4) DHEA Helps Increase Pregnancy Rate
Ovarian reserve is the capacity for the ovaries to produce a healthy egg that is ready for fertilization. Women taking DHEA with poor ovarian reserve, who also did not respond well to IVF, had a higher rate of pregnancy and higher ovarian reserve than women who did not take DHEA supplements (R).
5) DHEA and DHEA-S Helps With Weight Problems
On the other hand, women treated with 100 mg of DHEA had better improvements from anorexia than those that took placebos. Their weight increased, as well as their moods (R).
6) DHEA Lowers Insulin Resistance
7) DHEA Helps Protect Against Inflammation
DHEA stops inflammation and restored normal colon length. It balanced the immune responses that causes damage in bowel diseases (R).
DHEA reduced inflammation due to HIV and prevented neuron degeneration (R).
In the feline model of HIV (called FIV), DHEA also prevented neuron loss (R).
DHEA can prevent symptoms of asthma. It reduces inflammation in the lungs and reduces hyperreactivity of the airways (R).
8) DHEA Improves Sleep
DHEA administration improved sleep in humans. REM sleep increased, which meant better memory storage as well (R).
9) DHEA Improves Bone Health
DHEA increases bone (osteoblast) formation and inhibits bone (osteoblast) cell death. It increases bone volume and bone mineral density. It can also help prevent post-menopausal osteoporosis (R).
In a study done on South Korean men, DHEA was found to have the same positive effect on bone mass and help prevent male osteoporosis (R).
10) DHEA Protects Muscles
DHEA helps protect against muscle dystrophy. It helps protect against cell oxidation and prevents cell death. It increased the effects of antioxidants and stops muscle atrophy (R).
11) DHEA Relieves Problems Resulting from Menopause
After menopause, some women experience vaginal pain during sexual intercourse or severe dryness of the vagina. Intravaginal administration of DHEA administered led to improved vaginal health and lessened pain (R).
12) DHEA May Protect Against Colon Cancer
The spread of cancer to other body organs is a leading cause of cancer-related deaths. DHEA may stop the spreading of cancer by inhibiting certain pathways (R).
13) DHEA Helps with Lupus
DHEA provides a short-term benefit in those with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE). It lessened symptoms as well as lowered HDL cholesterol in lupus patients (R).
DHEA helps relieve tuberculosis symptoms in patients. It clears bacteria and prevents tissue damage (R).
Negative Effects of DHEA
Note: I take DHEA myself, so I’m not concerned about these potential negative effects.
Some side effects of DHEA include acne and excessive hair growth (R).
DHEA-S is not recommended for women because of the lack of studies done on long term effects (R).
Because DHEA can increase testosterone in the body, it is prohibited in some professional sports (R).
1) Excess Levels of DHEA and DHEA-S May Cause Cancer
An overdose of DHEA leads to high incidence of cancer of the prostate gland, breast, colon, lung, and stomach (R – unreliable study).
2) DHEA Is Related to Mental Disorders
A high level might be a risk factor for psychotic symptoms. It was found that a higher number of patients with high levels was found to have a family history of major depressive disorder or psychotic symptoms (R).
3) DHEA Increases Addiction
DHEA might contribute to substance abuse. By responding to emotional and behavioral circumstances, DHEA increases addiction (R).
4) DHEA Aggravates Stress
- Inhibited proliferation of spleen cells and IFN-у production, therefore it’s a Th1 suppressant (R).
- Decreased expression of IL-6 and TGF-β (R).
- Augmented frequency of CD4+IL-4+ cells (Th2), decreased CD4+IFN-ɣ+ (Th1) in spleen and constrained CD4+IL-17+ (Th17) population in the mesenteric lymph nodes (R).
- Reduces the accumulation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) in response to H2O2 and the H2O2-induced phosphorylation of ERK and p38 in a dose-dependent manner (R).
- stimulated the activation of Nrf2, which led to the expression of an antioxidant response gene, HO-1 (R).
- treatment reduced inflammatory gene transcripts (IL-1β, TNF-α, CD3ε, GFAP) (R).
- increased expression levels of the beta 3 adrenergic receptor (beta(3)AR) and PGC-1a (R).
- Inhibits phosphatase of regenerating liver-3 (PRL-3) (R).
- Inhibits the three recombinant T-channels (Ca(V)3.1, Ca(V)3.2 and Ca(V)3.3) expressed in NG108-15 cell line and native T-channels in pulmonary artery smooth muscle cells (R).
Recommended DHEA supplement:
- DHEA by Pure Encapsulations (10mg) (AMZN)
Testing for DHEA
Healthy adults average 36-39 nmol/L (R).
- RESTORE PEAK DHEA LEVELS - DHEA levels generally peak in your mid 20's and decline rapidly with age. DHEA is the building block that your body needs to produce critical hormones, and is often referred to as the ' mother of all hormones '. You can help restore healthy DHEA levels with just ONE EASY-TO-SWALLOW VEGETABLE CAPSULE per day.
- HEALTHY AGING - Since you cannot obtain DHEA from food, supplementation is critical. This natural DHEA supplement facilitates optimal hormone levels to help support a healthy mood, mental clarity and maintain energy levels. Zhou Nutrition's DHEA is effective for both men and women.
- PROMOTE HORMONAL BALANCE - DHEA (Dehydroepiandrosterone) is a hormone naturally produced by the adrenals. When the adrenal gland is fatigued due to stress, it simply cannot make enough DHEA to support a healthy hormonal balance. Zhou Nutrition's DHEA helps provide what is lost from adrenal exhaustion or normal aging.
- SUPERIOR QUALITY - Zhou Nutrition's DHEA is Third Party Tested, undergoing a strict set of processes, procedures and documentation to ensure each bottle has the accurate identity, strength, composition, quality and purity that appears on the label. Order Zhou Nutrition supplements with confidence!
- EXTRA STRENGTH DHEA TO BOOST DHEA LEVELS AND ENERGY - DHEA levels start declining rapidly due to stress and natural aging in our late 20's. DHEA MAX was formulated to help boost healthy DHEA levels and provide a powerful youthful surge in an easy and convenient one-a-day capsule
- EXPERIENCE THE YOUTHFUL SURGE - DHEA is an essential building block for hormones. Restoring balanced DHEA hormone levels supports healthy metabolism & libido, helps increase lean muscle mass and improve energy levels, and supports healthy brain & immune function
- PURE DHEA - Not all DHEA supplements are created equal. Our DHEA MAX, in addition to being formulated at an FDA registered facility under strict Good Manufacturing Practice standards, also is non-GMO and all natural to ensure only the highest quality ingredients. Each bottle is proudly made in the USA
- POWERFUL DOSAGE TO NATURALLY BALANCE HORMONES - Packed with 50mg of concentrated, fast-acting DHEA, experience the power of our all natural extra strength hormone balance formula proven to help support increased energy levels, a stronger immune system and an overall healthy mood.
- 100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE - Nothing to lose! We are so confident that you will love DHEA MAX that we back it with a 60-day money back guarantee, hassle-free.