Caprylic acid is a fatty acid that has many helpful properties. It boosts the immune system and helps protect the brain and heart. Read more to find out all about its benefits.
- The Caprylic Acid that I Recommend
- Health Benefits of Caprylic Acid:
- 1) Caprylic Acid Protects the Brain
- 2) Caprylic Acid Improves Immune System Function
- 3) Caprylic Acid Kills Bacteria
- 4) Caprylic Acid is Antifungal
- 5) Caprylic Acid Fights Against Viruses
- 6) Caprylic Acid Improves Mouth Health
- 7) Caprylic Acid Relieves Symptoms of Crohn’s Disease
- 8) Caprylic Acid Protects the Heart
- 9) Caprylic Acid Benefits Gut Health
- Buy Caprylic Acid
- Side Effects
- Amazon’s Bestsellers
Caprylic Acid is a type of fatty acid known as Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs). It is typically found in edible oils like coconut and palm oil (R).
Caprylic acid has a wide range of benefits and almost none of the harms of typical dietary fats (R).
The Caprylic Acid that I Recommend
Health Benefits of Caprylic Acid:
1) Caprylic Acid Protects the Brain
Alzheimer’s disease can cause low brain energy metabolism and deteriorate neuron function, which leads to a lower demand for glucose (R).
During the decline of Alzheimer’s disease or other dementia-related diseases, cerebral glucose metabolism seems to suffer as mitochondria become less able to absorb and use glucose. Ketones from caprylic acid can act as a glucose substitute (R).
These ketones offer the necessary simple fuel for the dysfunctioning mitochondria in the brain cells to use for energy (R).
In mice, caprylic acid can cross the blood-brain barrier and has anticonvulsant and neuroprotective effects (R).
Treatment with caprylic triglycerides slowed progression of weakness and protected spinal cord motor neuron loss in some animals, significantly improving their brains’ performances (R).
2) Caprylic Acid Improves Immune System Function
Caprylic acid may influence T helper cell activity and increase antibody production (R).
3) Caprylic Acid Kills Bacteria
Caprylic acid can inactivate bacteria by creating an acidic environment or by a direct impact on the expression of virulence factors (R).
Caprylic acid can kill both viruses and bacteria by causing disintegration of their cellular envelopes (R).
The antimicrobial effect is also related to its interference with signal transduction in cell replication (R).
Caprylic acid is able to reduce the amount of pathogens in milk. It penetrates and gets incorporated into the bacterial plasma membrane, alters membrane permeability and helps kill the bacteria (R).
Another method is that the short- and medium-chain fatty acids diffuse into bacterial cell walls in their undissociated form and dissociate within the bacteria, causing the bacteria to become acidic (R).
An acidic pH can lead to inactivation of intracellular enzymes, and inhibition of amino acid transport, reducing the bacteria’s ability to live and reproduce (R).
4) Caprylic Acid is Antifungal
The antifungal fatty acids insert themselves into the fungal membranes and physically disturb the membrane, resulting in increased fluidity of the membrane. This will cause changes in membrane proteins, cytoplasmic disorder, and eventually cell death (R).
They are proposed to have increased fungicidal activity due to their increased freedom inside the membrane (R).
N-myristoyltransferase (NMT) is essential for growth and survival of several fungi and yeasts. Caprylic acid competes with the fungi to bind to NMT, resulting in disturbance of protein and cellular function (R).
5) Caprylic Acid Fights Against Viruses
Medium-chain free fatty acids have a broad spectrum of microbicidal activity against enveloped viruses (R).
The antiviral action liquidizes the lipids and phospholipids in the envelope of the virus, causing the disintegration of the microbial membrane (R).
It also interferes with virus assembly and viral maturation (R).
6) Caprylic Acid Improves Mouth Health
Acid-treated animals had suppressed the growth of fungus on the tongue surface. This suggests that caprylic acid has potential for supporting anti-Candida treatment (R).
It enters the microbial cell across the plasma membrane and affects the biological function of the Candida fungus. Even at low concentrations, caprylic acid can prevent oral infections (R).
7) Caprylic Acid Relieves Symptoms of Crohn’s Disease
Crohn’s disease is an inflammatory bowel disease that causes inflammation of the lining of your digestive tract, which can lead to abdominal pain, severe diarrhea, fatigue, weight loss and malnutrition (R).
Caprylic acid suppresses IL-8 secretion by Caco-2 cells at the transcriptional level (R).
It also inhibits IL-8 promoter activation (R).
8) Caprylic Acid Protects the Heart
It can also improve blood circulation (R).
9) Caprylic Acid Benefits Gut Health
Caprylic acid decreases the stickiness of blood platelets, aids digestion by increasing motility (flow) of the stomach, and its secretions reduce cholesterol in blood and liver and increases the uptake of calcium (R).
Buy Caprylic Acid
Capyrlic Acid (AMZN)
- One theory maintains that monoglycerides as nonionic surfactants penetrate and are incorporated into the bacterial plasma membrane, thereby altering membrane permeability (R).
- An alternative hypothesis, related to the effect of a disturbed intracellular pH, might be an effect on pH sensitive intracellular enzymes or inhibition of amino acid transport into cells (R).
- These elevations in membrane fluidity will cause a generalized disorganization of the cell membrane that leads to conformational changes in membrane proteins, the release of intracellular components, cytoplasmic disorder and eventually cell disintegration (R).
- The inhibition of IL-8 gene transcription induced by caprylic acid and TSA does not necessarily require the marked suppression of transcription factors, and the mechanism of inhibition of IL-8 gene transcription may be different between caprylic acid and TSA (R).
- The caprylic triglyceride fed mice showed about a 2.5 fold increase in the blood concentration of circulating ketones compared to animals on control diet (0.54±0.10 vs 0.22±0.06 mmol/L, p = 0.027 by two-tailed t-test) at post-symptomatic stage (R).
Since Alzheimer’s disease is a slowly progressive disease, increased consumption of medium-chain triglyceride oil (which may consist of caprylic acid) may increase the risks for negative effects such as acidosis, high blood pressure, etc. (R).
It may create an acute burning sensation and also abdominal pain (R).
- Intestinal Health
- Supports Healthy Intestinal Flora*
- Pure Encapsulations Caprylic Acid provides gradual release calcium and magnesium caprylates for maintaining healthy candida balance.*
- Hypo-Allergenic Dietary Supplement
- 120 Capsules
- Pure Encapsulations recommends 1-2 capsules 30 minutes before each meal, or as directed by a health professional.
- At Pure Encapsulations, our products are free from: wheat and gluten; egg; peanuts; coatings and shellacs; GMOs; magnesium stearate; trans fats and hydrogenated oils; artificial colors, flavors and sweeteners; unnecessary binders, fillers and preservatives. Any product containing ingredients derived from allergens, such as soy, dairy or shellfish, is clearly labeled. All two-piece capsules are hypoallergenic and vegetarian.