L. brevis has many beneficial effects. It improves dental health, boosts immunity, helps with IBS and degrades various toxins. It also may improve sleep and allergies.
- Health Benefits of L. brevis
- 1) L. brevis Improves Dental Health
- 2) L. brevis Boosts Immunity
- 3) L. brevis May be Beneficial in Allergy
- 4) L. brevis May Improve Sleep
- 5) L. brevis is Beneficial for the GI Tract
- 6) L. brevis Combats H. pylori Infection
- 7) L. brevis May Lower Cholesterol
- 8) L. brevis May Inhibit Fat Production
- 9) L. brevis May Enhance Appetite
- 10) L. brevis May be Beneficial in Diabetes
- 11) L. brevis May be Beneficial for the Liver
- 12) L. brevis May Treat Skin Issues
- 13) L. brevis Counters MSG
- 14) L. brevis May Degrade Pesticides
- 15) L. brevis May Combat Cancer
- Buy B. breve
Lactobacillus brevis is a plant-derived lactic acid bacterium isolated from ‘Suguki’, a traditional Japanese pickle produced in Kyoto (R).
L. brevis can be found in fermented foods, such as sauerkraut and pickles, and in human gut microbiota.
Health Benefits of L. brevis
1) L. brevis Improves Dental Health
L. brevis improves pH, significantly reduces salivary mutans streptococci and bleeding on probing in high caries risk schoolchildren (R).
L. brevis has anti-inflammatory effects and can bring about the total disappearance or amelioration of clinical symptoms in patients with periodontitis (R).
L. brevis exerts anti-inflammatory properties by preventing nitric oxide synthesis and may delay gingivitis development in humans (R).
L. brevis inhibits periodontal inflammation, significantly decreases bone loss and lowers the count of anaerobic bacteria in mice with periodontitis (R).
2) L. brevis Boosts Immunity
L. brevis reduces the incidence of influenza in elementary schoolchildren. The improvement is especially pronounced in unvaccinated individuals (R).
Oral administration of live, but not heat-killed, L. brevis significantly increased IFN-α production in humans. The intake tended to be most beneficial in subjects with initially low levels of IFN-α production (R).
L. brevis alleviates influenza virus infection symptoms in mice (R).
L. brevis enhances cytotoxic activity of mouse splenocytes (R).
L. brevis exhibits antiviral activity towards herpes virus (HSV-2) and inhibits HSV-2 multiplication (R).
3) L. brevis May be Beneficial in Allergy
Oral administration of L. brevis significantly inhibited IgE production, swelling, and the development of atopic dermatitis in mice (R).
4) L. brevis May Improve Sleep
Daily voluntary wheel-running and sleep rhythmicity become intensified in mice when heat-killed L. brevis is added to the diet (R).
5) L. brevis is Beneficial for the GI Tract
L. brevis Improves Constipation
L. brevis Improves Oral Mucositis
Oral mucositis is one of the most common, debilitating complication of cancer treatments, particularly chemotherapy and radiation. L. brevis reduced the incidence and severity of anticancer therapy-induced oral mucositis and improved the tolerance to chemo-radiotherapy, and anticancer treatment completion (R).
L. brevis may be Beneficial in IBD
Heath-killed L. brevis reduces intestinal impairments and improves the survival rate in mice with lethal colitis (R).
Polyphosphate (poly P), an active molecule derived from L. brevis, improves inflammation and fibrosis in mice with chronic colitis (R).
L. brevis Improves IBS
6) L. brevis Combats H. pylori Infection
L. brevis treatment decreases H. pylori colonization in dyspeptic H. pylori patients and reduces polyamine biosynthesis (R).
7) L. brevis May Lower Cholesterol
L. brevis reduced cholesterol in rats and decreased low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol levels (R).
8) L. brevis May Inhibit Fat Production
L. brevis inhibits fat cell production cellular triglyceride accumulation and GPDH activity (R).
9) L. brevis May Enhance Appetite
L. brevis enhances appetite in mice (R).
10) L. brevis May be Beneficial in Diabetes
L. brevis decreases glucose levels in diabetic rats (R).
11) L. brevis May be Beneficial for the Liver
Oral administration of L. brevis ameliorated ethanol-induced liver injury and the fatty liver in mice. It significantly inhibited ALT and AST increase and decreased TG and total cholesterol in the liver (R).
12) L. brevis May Treat Skin Issues
L. brevis increases blood flow and decreases transepidermal water loss in rats, and could be a useful substance in the treatment/prevention of skin problems, specifically chapped or dry skin (R).
13) L. brevis Counters MSG
Capsules containing L. brevis reduce monosodium glutamate (MGS) levels and MSG symptom complex in humans (R).
L. brevis inhibits the absorption of MSG from the intestine into the blood in mice (R).
14) L. brevis May Degrade Pesticides
Organophosphorus hydrolase (OpdB) of L. brevis is able to degrade organophosphorus pesticides (R).
15) L. brevis May Combat Cancer
An antitumor molecule derived from L. brevis inhibits colon adenocarcinoma cell viability and the growth of these cells in mice (R).
- L. brevis can improve the Th1/Th2 balance toward Th1 dominance (R).
- L. brevis can polarize M1 macrophages to M2-like macrophages (R).
- L. brevis increases IgA (R) and inhibits IgE (R).
- L. brevis beneficially affects various physiological processes via the serotonin 5-HT3 receptor (R,R).
- L. brevis decreases TNF-α (R,R,R,R,R,R,R).
- L. brevis increase IFN- α (R,R), and can both increase (R) and decrease IFN-γ (R).
- L. brevis decreases IL-1β (R,R,R,R,R), IL-4 (R), IL-6 (R,R,R,R), and IL-17A (R).
- L. brevis increases IL-10 (R,R).
- L. brevis can both decrease (R) and increase IL-12 (R).
- L. brevis can both decreases (R) and increase TGF-β (R).
- L. brevis increases adiponectin (R).
- L. brevis decreases iNOS(R,R), NO, PGE2 (R), COX2(R,R), MPO, FOXP3, TLR4 (R), PGE2, MMP (R), PPAR-γ, CEBP-α, aP2, LPL, LXR– α, leptin, GPDH (R), IRAK1, AKT, NF-κB (R), SREBP-1, and SREBP-2 (R).
- L. brevis increases HSPs and p38 MAPK (R).
L. brevis is safe for human consumption (R).
Probiotics should be avoided in patients with organ failure, immunocompromised status, and dysfunctional gut barrier mechanisms, where they may cause infections.
Buy B. breve
These products contain L. brevis: