Are you dealing with oxidative stress? Do you have a problem detoxifying from drugs, supplements or chemicals? Suffer from bacterial infections? Have heart disease? Autism?
PON1 is implicated in all of these. Read on…
The Benefits of PON1
PON1 is responsible for detoxifying organophosphate pesticides and nerve gasses.
It detoxifies lactones (such as statins), glucuronide drugs, thiolactones, aryl esters, cyclic carbonates, estrogens and lipid peroxides (oxidized lipids) (R).
PON1 also protects against bacterial infection by destroying the bacterial signaling molecules that cause gram-negative bacteria to invade human tissue and form colonies. Thus PON1 contributes to the bodies innate immunity (R).
PON1 (paraoxonase 1) is a major anti-atherosclerotic component of HDL. PON1 is transported by HDL, which is one significant reason (if not the only reason) why having higher HDL is protective against heart disease (R).
It protects against the induction of inflammatory responses in artery wall cells by destroying biologically active lipids in oxidized LDL (R).
Oxidized-fats and cholesterol are the major cause of inflammation and are responsible for the initiation and propagation of several inflammatory diseases including heart disease and stroke, diabetes, liver and kidney diseases, arthritis, eye diseases (macular degeneration), cancer and HIV infection (R).
Because of its ability to destroy oxidised-lipids, PON1 appears to play some role in all these diseases. However, the greatest research interest has been the role of PON1 in heart disease, because of its ability to remove harmful oxidized-lipids (R).
PON1 has a role in healthy aging (R).
People with Autism have lower PON1 activity (arylesterase activity) (R).
How to Increase PON1
Other ways to increase PON1:
- Vitamin E
- Mediterranean Diet (R),
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (R),
- Fish oil/DHA (R, R2),
- Broccoli sprouts/Sulforaphane (Ref),
- Allyl isothiocyanate (found in mustard, radish, wasabi) (R)
- Curcumin (R),
- EGCG (R),
- Aspirin (IHERB) (R)
- Quercetin (R),
- Pomegranate (R),
- Resveratrol (R),
- Berberine (R)
- Glutathione (R),
- Statins (R)
- Other: Sumac (R), Atorvastatin (R),
What Inhibits PON1
Omega-6’s such as linolenic acid and arachidonic acid decrease PON1 (R).
Low-grade inflammation will decrease PON1, so you should fix general inflammation (R).
PON1 in human blood is inactivated by oxidized LDL and preserved by antioxidants (R), so taking care of oxidative stress, in general, is a good idea.
Health Tools I Wish I Had When I Was Sick
At SelfHacked, it’s our goal to offer our readers all the tools possible to get optimally healthy. When I was struggling with chronic health issues I felt stuck because I didn’t have any tools to help me get better. I had to spend literally thousands of hours trying to read through studies on pubmed to figure out how the body worked and how to fix it.
That’s why I decided to create tools that will help others cut down the guesswork:
- Lab Test Analyzer – a software tool that will analyze your labs and tell you what the optimal values are for each marker — as well as provide you with actionable tips and personalized health and lifestyle recommendations to help you get there.
- SelfDecode – a software tool that will help you analyze your genetic data from companies such as 23andme and ancestry. You will learn how your health is being impacted by your genes, and how to use this knowledge to your advantage.
- SelfHacked Secrets – an ebook where we examine and explain the biggest overlooked environmental factors that cause disease. This ebook is a great place to start your journey if you want to learn the essential steps to optimizing your health.
- SelfHacked Elimination Diet course – a video course that will help you figure out which diet works best for you
- Selfhacked Inflammation course – a video course on inflammation and how to bring it down
- Biohacking insomnia – an ebook on how to get great sleep
- Lectin Avoidance Cookbook – an e-cookbook for people with food sensitivities
- BrainGauge – a device that detects subtle brain changes and allows you to test what’s working for you
- SelfHacked VIP – an area where you can ask me (Joe) questions about health topics
Check out Lab Test Analyzer!
Get personalized up-to-date science-backed lifestyle, diet, and supplement recommendations based on your lab tests!