“It is not that I’m so smart. But I stay with the questions much longer.”
― Albert Einstein
Supplements For Brain Fog
Before you proceed, make sure you read: Brain Fog Treatment, Part 1: Diet and Lifestyle
Also, some people are Th1 dominant, while others are Th2 dominant. If you want more information, our All About Inflammation Course covers Th1 and Th2 dominance, as well as how to balance your immune system if you suffer from one of these.
If the dosing information isn’t written, it means that you should follow the standard instructions on the label.
Brain fog is almost always caused by inflammation, immune imbalance, and mitochondrial dysfunction.
How to Know If Something Is Worsening or Helping with Your Brain Fog
This post is a list of suggested remedies for you to try because brain fog is different for everyone, so some of this will help you while others don’t.
I find that most of my brain fog clients have trouble telling if something is somewhat helpful with their brain fog. They would be able to tell if a supplement or device completely takes away the brain fog, but not if it partially improves their brain function. Brain fog is a complex problem and most people will need multiple interventions to completely fix it. Therefore, I recommend using Brain Gauge to quantify if any supplements, devices, or lifestyle changes help with your brain function to any degree, so that you can create your own brain fog protocol that works.
Mitochondrial Enhancers to Reverse Mitochondrial Breakdown
These have all been tried and tested by me. I’ve tried every mitochondrial enhancer on the market and these are the best. They work.
These dosages are meant to be taken individually. If you’re stacking, then cut everything in half.
- PQQ (R),
- Lactate: Kombucha (R, R2). Not for Th2 dominant.
- Nicotinamide Riboside (R, R2)
- C60 (R, R2)
- Oxaloacetate (R, R2)
- Gotu Kola (R)
- Gynostemma (R)
- Lipoic Acid
- Hydroxytyrosol (R)
Supplements to Reduce Th1 Dominance
- Curcumin (R)
- EGCG (R)
- Lactic acid (R)
- Boswellia (R)
- Theaflavins (R, R2)
- NAG (R)
- Sialic Acid
- Fisetin (R)
- Black Cumin Seed Oil (R)
- Pregnenolone (R)
- Hops (xanthohumol) (R)
Supplements to Reduce Th2 Dominance
I realize many people just want the bottom line. Here it is:
- Sun/UVB (R) – UVB decreases IFNy in Th1 dominance but increases it in Th2 dominance. So it’s balancing. It also decreases IgE responses. UVA in sun also decreases Th2 dominance. (R)
- Probiotics…Decreases Th2: L Reuteri (R) (probiotic), L. Plantarum (R) (probiotic), L. salivarius (R) (probiotic), L. lactis (R) (probiotic)….Increases Th1: S Boulardii? (R), L. Sporogenes (R), L Acidophilus (R), L casei (R), Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG (R), Lactobacillus paracasei (R), Lactobacillus salivarius (R), B Longum (R), L Brevis (R), L fermentum (R)
- NAC/Glutathione sufficiency decreases Th2 (R) and increases Th1 (R). 1 cap 2X a day with breakfast and lunch.
- Licorice -18/β-glycyrrhetinic acid+LicoA (R, R2). Glycyrrhizin increases IFNy and decreases the Th2 response. (R, R2).
- Gynostemma (R). This is a Th1 immune stimulant and reduces allergies. Gynostemma is recommended also because it’s a powerful mitochondrial enhancer.
- Ginger or juice the root (R, R2). Recommended because it has anecdotal support in addition to the research, but also because you can get it everywhere, it has a long history of use and for its multitude of other benefits. My mother who is Th2 dominant finds this very helpful for her allergies.
- Reishi (R). Recommended because it’s a medicinal mushroom, which has unique health properties. It works in many ways. It’s a favorite substance of mine but I don’t take anymore so that I don’t stimulate my immune system.
- Tinospora (R). This has a clinical trial backing it, with some anecdotal support.
- Quercetin (R)
The Most Effective Devices for Treating Brain Fog
These are all very important.
- Selenium or a brazil nut
- Citicoline or lecithin
Take note that I am limited in that this is a general protocol and not tailored to an individual.
For example, people with candida experience brain fog, but this protocol isn’t meant for them. Candida is caused in part by lower immunity instead of increased immunity. Candida sufferers should not take NAG since it’s used by candida to grow and become more virulent (R). Mannose can also cause candida to grow (R) and probably sialic acid as well. However, only a small percentage of brain fog cases are from candida in my experience and the effects are different than other types of brain fog.
The dosage that you should take depends on your case and other things you are taking.
Each case is different. With no knowledge of the individual, this is the best I can recommend. You’ll just need to experiment more with what works for you.
Also, keep in mind that brain fog, like every other chronic disease, has multiple causes and is resistant to treatment by a single intervention.
Once a disease takes hold, it’s the norm and while interventions can temporarily fix these problems, the body has a knack to adapt to its former diseased state.
Focusing on a single approach will not work, but it can help a little. Chronic issues need to be addressed from all angles and then once the body develops a new homeostasis, adjustments can be made. The more severe your brain fog is the more of these tools you’ll need to use.
It can take a few months for the full effect to take root, but improvements will be felt along the way.
If you take everything in one shot it will probably be too dramatic, so I encourage you to introduce one supplement at a time.
If the effects are too strong, then simply reduce the dosage or reduce the total supplement load. This is an important concept. Also, after you realize the brain fog is disappearing you can start to withdraw some of the treatments.
Don’t allow this long and comprehensive list to scare you into inertia or think some of the treatments aren’t significant.
If you can only try some, then it’s better than nothing.
Additionally, don’t use supplements as a crutch and neglect other important aspects of this regimen.
Additional Supplements for Infection Derived Brain Fog
People who suddenly started experiencing brain fog after an infection must use additional tools to fight off the infection. The same mechanisms are at play and therefore the regime doesn’t change, but the root cause is different and therefore some additions are required.
Possibly some pharmaceuticals should be added if this is the case.
The regimen already includes many antimicrobials and immune boosters, which would go a long way.
Brain Fog Caused by Heavy Metals
If your brain fog is caused by oxidative stress from heavy metals, then I would suggest Modified Citrus Pectin and lots of kombucha.
MCP binds to only the harmful heavy metals in the body while leaving alone the beneficial minerals.
Kombucha is loaded with gluconate, which binds to heavy metals.
If you have issues with mercury in particular, then add in Stabilized R-Lipoic Acid. RLA is very good at excreting mercury within your cells.
Video: How The Mitochondria Makes Energy
Health Tools I Wish I Had When I Was Sick
At SelfHacked, it’s our goal to offer our readers all the tools possible to get optimally healthy. When I was struggling with chronic health issues I felt stuck because I didn’t have any tools to help me get better. I had to spend literally thousands of hours trying to read through studies on pubmed to figure out how the body worked and how to fix it.
That’s why I decided to create tools that will help others cut down the guesswork:
- Lab Test Analyzer – a software tool that will analyze your labs and tell you what the optimal values are for each marker — as well as provide you with actionable tips and personalized health and lifestyle recommendations to help you get there.
- SelfDecode – a software tool that will help you analyze your genetic data from companies such as 23andme and ancestry. You will learn how your health is being impacted by your genes, and how to use this knowledge to your advantage.
- SelfHacked Secrets – an ebook where we examine and explain the biggest overlooked environmental factors that cause disease. This ebook is a great place to start your journey if you want to learn the essential steps to optimizing your health.
- SelfHacked Elimination Diet course – a video course that will help you figure out which diet works best for you
- Selfhacked Inflammation course – a video course on inflammation and how to bring it down
- Biohacking insomnia – an ebook on how to get great sleep
- Lectin Avoidance Cookbook – an e-cookbook for people with food sensitivities
- BrainGauge – a device that detects subtle brain changes and allows you to test what’s working for you
- SelfHacked VIP – an area where you can ask me (Joe) questions about health topics
Disclaimer and Caveats
Check out Lab Test Analyzer!
Get personalized up-to-date science-backed lifestyle, diet, and supplement recommendations based on your lab tests!