Baicalin and Baicalein are herbal supplements that have anti-neuroinflammatory, anticancer and anti-anxiety effects.
- Health Benefits of Baicalin and Baicalein
- Buying & Dosage
Baicalein is a flavone, a type of polyphenolic flavonoid, that is extracted from the roots of Scutellaria baicalensis and Scutellaria lateriflora that have a wide variety of health benefits.
Baicalin is a flavone glycoside, the glucuronide of baicalein, which is obtained through the binding of glucuronic acid to baicalein. It is primarily used in Asian countries as an herbal supplement.
Health Benefits of Baicalin and Baicalein
1) Baicalein and Baicalin Lowers Anxiety
Baicalein and baicalin inhibit the action potential of the neurons that raise anxiety (R).
In mice, baicalin produces anxiety-lowering effects without causing drowsiness or muscle relaxation (R).
2) Baicalein and Baicalin are Neuroprotective
Baicalin improved cognitive dysfunction via its anti-neuroinflammatory activity, and may be a potential candidate for the treatment of Alzheimer’s Disease (AD) (R).
It improved Amyloid beta-induced learning and memory deficit, hippocampus injury and neuron apoptosis (R).
Baicalin improves learning and memory impairment induced by brain injury in mammals (R).
Treatment with this flavonoid, post-stroke, promotes neuron development in damaged sections of the brain, including the new formation of cells in the hippocampus (R).
3) Baicalein and Baicalin Fight Cancer
Short-term treatment (48 hours) with baicalein inhibits the proliferation of human ovarian cancer cells. An increase in cell death was observed when combined with Taxol (a chemotherapy drug) (R).
Baicalein suppressed proliferation, migration, and invasion of breast cancer cells in a time and dose-dependent manner. It had the potential to suppress breast cancer metastasis (R).
Baicalein, when ingested, is metabolized and inhibits the proliferation of human colorectal cancer cells (R).
It destroys the S cycle of colorectal cancer cells, which promotes cell death and prevents further replication (R).
Baicalin ingested at a dose of 100 mg/kg for 28 days decreases tumor growth and replication in mice with colon cancer cells (R).
4) Baicalin Protects the Liver
Baicalin administered in rats decreased the production of disease promoting proteins in the liver, reducing the effects of NAFLD (R).
It decreases cholesterol, alanine transaminase, low-density lipoproteins, and TNF levels.
Rats with alcohol-induced liver damage treated with this flavonoid before consuming alcohol had protective effects on the liver. It also decreased liver cell apoptosis (R).
5) Baicalin Improves Lung Function
Pure baicalin is successful at improving lung function in rats which suffer from allergic diseases (R).
When administered to rats suffering from asthma as a pretreatment, showed a healthy remodeling of the airway (R).
6) Baicalein and Baicalin Help Your Eyes
Daily intake of baicalin or baicalein helps prevent eye diseases such as cataracts or age-related macular degeneration in animals (R).
Oral intake reduces stress on the eyes and muscles, decreasing the chance of contracting an eye disease (R).
7) Baicalin Improves Fertility
Baicalin significantly enhances endometrial reproduction (R).
In mice embryos, it increases development and quality of blastocysts (R).
Buying & Dosage
Baicalein and baicalin supplements can be taken by healthy individuals. The healthy dose should be 200-800 mg in multiple day doses, once in the morning and once again at night, without any side effects (R).
- Baicalein is able to inhibit the Akt/Beta-catenin signaling pathway which prevents the further development of human ovarian cancer cells (R).
- It also inhibits MMP-2, MMP-9, uPA, and uPAR expressions, which prevent tumor growth and metastasis (R).
- Baicalein inhibits SATB1 protein synthesis which inhibits tumor formation in lab experiments (R).
- In combination with baicalein, baicalin inhibits the transcription proteins which lead to the transformation of epithelial cells into cancerous stem cells (epithelial-mesenchymal transition) (R).
- Glucose-related protein 78 levels were reversed with treatment of baicalin which improved overall liver function (R).
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.
HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ARTICLE?