What Is Cerebrolysin?
Cerebrolysin is a nootropic (“smart drug”). It is a mixture of amino acids and proteins purified from pig brains, including:
- Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) 
- Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) 
- Nerve growth factor (NGF) 
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) 
Found naturally in the human brain, these proteins help protect and repair brain cells .
Although this drug is currently not approved in the US, it has been used for treating stroke, traumatic brain injury, dementia, and Alzheimer’s disease in European and Asian countries .
How Does Cerebrolysin Work?
Cerebrolysin works by:
- Protecting brain cells and preventing their death due to harmful conditions [4, 5].
- Promoting the growth of new brain cells .
- Improving brain cell communication, which enhances learning capacity [7, 8, 2].
- Increasing brain energy (by increasing glucose uptake by brain cells) and protein production in cells [9, 10].
- Decreasing brain levels of beta-amyloid deposits, which are linked to Alzheimer’s disease .
- Lowering inflammation in the brain .
1) Improves Cognitive Function
Cerebrolysin (added to risperidone) improved cognitive function and memory in 109 schizophrenic patients .
Another study of 54 older adults with memory loss found that a derivative of cerebrolysin, N-PEP-12, improved memory .
Healthy elderly people had better memory and attention after a single dose of this drug .
2) Alzheimer’s Disease
A review of 15 clinical trials including 2,446 subjects found that high doses of this drug reduced psychological symptoms and slowed disease progression in patients with Alzheimer’s disease and dementia .
Because of this, cerebrolysin may improve cognitive function in Alzheimer’s patients. In a study of mice with Alzheimer’s disease, this drug improved learning and memory by decreasing these protein fragments in the brain and improving brain cell communication .
3) Stroke and Brain Injuries
It also improved communication skills in 158 infants after severe brain injury .
4) Parkinson’s Disease
Cerebrolysin nanospheres slowed disease progression in a mouse model of Parkinson’s .
Additionally, cerebrolysin promoted the survival of brain cells and improved motor symptoms in rats with Parkinson’s disease .
A combination of cerebrolysin with antidepressants was more effective in improving symptoms in patients with treatment-resistant depression than antidepressants alone .
In a study of 19 children with childhood autism and 8 with Asperger’s syndrome, cerebrolysin therapy improved cognitive function in all Asperger’s and in 89% of autistic subjects .
In another study of 43 children with autism, 27 children (62.8%) showed signs of improvement after receiving the drug .
This drug also improved behavior and brain cell communication in rats with autism .
In a study of 60 children with ADHD, cerebrolysin improved symptoms in 70 to 86% of subjects .
8) Cerebral Palsy
In a study of 50 children with cerebral palsy, cerebrolysin improved motor function when added to rehabilitation therapy .
9) Rett Syndrome
Rett syndrome is a rare genetic brain disorder characterized by impaired speech, coordination, and movement.
A pilot study of 9 girls with RETT syndrome found that cerebrolysin improved behavior in 78%, attention in 89%, physical skills in 56% of the subjects, and nonverbal social communication in all participants. It also restored high-level brain functions (measured by EEG) .
This drug also reduced brain damage and improved movement in a mouse model of Rett syndrome .
10) Diabetes-Related Nerve Damage
Cerebrolysin significantly relieved the symptoms of painful diabetic neuropathy (nerve damage caused by diabetes) in 20 type 2 diabetes patients. A 10-day therapy led to improvements that lasted at least 6 weeks .
It also improved sciatic nerve function in a dose-dependent manner in mice with type 2 diabetes .
Finally, it reversed brain damage (in the hippocampus), in a mouse model of type 1 diabetes .
Cerebrolysin reduced anxiety in rats .
Risks and Side Effects
Cerebrolysin is generally safe and well-tolerated by patients .
- Burning sensation
- Weight loss
- Flu-like symptoms
- Vomiting with heart palpitations (rarely)
- Injection site reactions (irritation, itchiness)
Epileptic patients should avoid this drug because it can increase seizure frequency .
Cerebrolysin may enhance the action of antidepressants .
Because proteins are usually broken down in the gut without reaching the brain, cerebrolysin should be injected into the muscle or vein .
The dosage depends on the condition and age of the patient. In a clinical study of patients with Alzheimer’s disease, doses of 30 ml/day, injected in the vein for 4 weeks showed positive results .
Carriers of a gene variant that increases the risk of Alzheimer’s disease, APOE-ε4 (rs7412-C, rs429358-C), may have a decreased response to cerebrolysin. In one study, Alzheimer’s patients without this variant were three times more likely to respond to treatment .
However, in another study, cerebrolysin was more effective in raising levels of BDNF, a protein that enhances brain cell growth and survival, in APOE-ε4 carriers .
P21 (Peptide 021) is a derivative of cerebrolysin. It enhances learning and short-term and spatial memory in mice .
It also increases BDNF and neurogenesis in aged rats .
However, some users report that P21 is more effective than cerebrolysin and has fewer side effects.
Cortexin, a protein-based nootropic drug, is also similar to cerebrolysin. However, it differs in composition (more proteins). A study comparing the behavioral effects of cortexin and cerebrolysin in rats revealed that cortexin had a more pronounced psychological effect (e.g., reduced anxiety) .
User Reviews and Experiences
Cerebrolysin improves memory, learning, mood, and productivity:
- “My memory is better”
- “Memory and logical reasoning improved significantly”
- “It improved my short-term memory, spatial perception, and verbal intelligence”
- “This stuff has a significant antidepressant effect. You feel like you are back in the happiest times of your childhood”
- “It’s addictive because of its antidepressant effects”
- “This stuff makes you drift through life effortlessly, almost like “hacking the matrix”
- “I was a … MACHINE, just working away”
However, it can also cause aggression, headaches, sleep problems, and flu-like symptoms:
- “I got more irritated and angry at friends and family”
- “I got localized headaches”
- “It gave me a slight headache”
- “I’m having a lot of trouble sleeping on the days that I take it”
- “I had a mild feverish feeling”
Limitations and Caveats
Although cerebrolysin has shown benefits in diseased individuals, research is limited on how this drug impacts healthy individuals.
Cerebrolysin is available online. Use the coupon code selfhacked8 for 8% off.
This drug has not been evaluated nor used in the US. It should only be used under the guidance of a qualified healthcare professional.