Disclaimer: This post is currently being reviewed because it does not fit our standards for quality.
Chromium is a mineral that helps regulate insulin in the body. It can improve the immune system and brain function, helps increase weight loss, and has other health benefits. Read more below to learn about this mineral.
What is Chromium?
Trivalent chromium is safe for human consumption. The nutritional benefits of this version are considered to outweigh any potential risks (R).
However, another form called hexavalent chromium is a known carcinogen of the stomach and lungs (R).
Health Benefits of Chromium
1) Chromium Helps Improve Diabetes Symptoms
Chromium has been found to increase the body’s tolerance for glucose (R).
In patients with type 2 diabetes, Chromium (Cr) picolinate supplements have been shown to control the accumulation of body fat (R).
In a group of elderly patients with type 2 diabetes, supplements helped these individuals control their blood sugar and lowered the amount of fat in their blood (R).
2) Chromium Improves Immune System Function
Cows supplemented with chromium showed immune system improvements; the blood levels of stress hormones decreased, improving their ability to use insulin (R).
An allergy test for the mineral can detect a chemical that is present in the immune response (R).
For patients living with HIV, chromium supplements helped with the side effects of anti-retroviral medication (R).
3) Chromium Improves Brain Function
A study done on older adults at risk for cognitive decline found that the supplement Chromium picolinate can improve memory (R).
In patients with depression, these supplements also decreased carbohydrate craving, improved eating habits and benefited mood (R).
4) Chromium Helps Weight Loss
5) Chromium Lowers Cholesterol
Hamsters given a combination of grape seed extract and Niacin-bound Cr was shown to decrease the total amount of bad cholesterol, repair the damage to cells, and helped repair the buildup of fatty plaques (R).
6) Chromium Improves Hormone Levels
Chromium supplementation reduced the amount of stress hormone in the blood of cows (R).
In pigs, it helped normalize the metabolic effects of administered hormones (R).
7) Chromium Protects Bone Health
Mineral extracts cause the release of cell signaling compounds that favor bone resorption (R).
In postmenopausal women, Chromium Picolinate supplements reduced bone reabsorption and may have some helpful effects on bone density (R).
8) Chromium Improves Women’s Health
In women with polycystic ovary syndrome, a Cr supplement improved acne, decreased levels of proteins associated with heart disease, and increased the body’s ability to deal with harmful free radicals (R).
9) Chromium Reduces Inflammation
Treatments with chromium in mice reduced the inflammatory response (R).
- Additionally, salinity and Cr enhanced antioxidant enzymes activities like catalase(CAT), guaiacol peroxidase (GPX) and sodium content in leaves (R).
- Also, a combination of IH636 grape seed proanthocyanidin extract (GSPE) and a niacin-bound Cr (NBC) can decrease total cholesterol, LDL and oxidized LDL levels in hypercholesterolemic human subjects (R).
- GSPE alone and in combination with NBC exerted a pronounced effect on the cholesterol, and triglyceride levels. Also, oxidative lipid damage as demonstrated by the formation of thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) (R).
- It also increases insulin binding to cells, insulin receptor number and activates insulin receptor kinase leading to increased insulin sensitivity (R).
- CrPic produced improvement on the following HAM-D-29 items: appetite increase increased eating, carbohydrate craving, and diurnal variation of feelings (R).
- However, LPS-induced the increases in TNFα, IL6, Interleukin-1α (IL1α), Interleukin-1β (IL1β), inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), and cyclooxygenase-2 (COX2) mRNA levels. Cr for 3, 6, and 12 h helped this effect (R).
Irregular Chromium Levels?
If you have not yet tested your chromium levels, I recommend that you ask your doctor to do it. If you already have your blood test results and you’re not sure what to make of them, you need to check out Lab Test Analyzer. It does all the heavy lifting for you. No need to do thousands of hours of research on what to make of your various blood tests.
Looking for a more comprehensive multivitamin? Joe’s partnered with VitaminLab to create a custom multivitamin blend for optimal health!