Overview of SelfDecode
SelfDecode is a DNA analysis site where you can get personalized health suggestions based on your genes. You can upload your raw DNA data from 23andMe, Ancestry, MyHeritage and other sites to find out what your genes have to say about your health.
SelfDecode also offers their own DNA testing kit for health and ancestry analysis if you haven’t already had your genes tested. SelfDecode aims to help people optimize their health and take a data-driven approach to their health regimen.
Most importantly, SelfDecode is the only company utilizing cutting-edge polygenic risk scoring in the direct-to-consumer market. By using artificial intelligence and machine learning, SelfDecode is able to accurately predict and analyze up to 83 million genetic variants from your typical DNA test. This means you will receive the most complete gene-based health analysis and recommendations.
Review of SelfDecode DNA Wellness Reports
SelfDecode uses polygenic analysis to look at all the relevant genetic variants (~1 million per report) for a particular health topic and then tells you which diet, supplement and lifestyle choices should work best for you.
Each report provides a comprehensive overview of your genetic predispositions, details about the genes and SNPs related to the health topic and explains how your genes could be affecting your health.
Example of a genetic predispositions summary from the Anxiety DNA Wellness Report:
At the beginning of each report, SelfDecode lists your DNA-based health recommendations in order of priority with the most impactful changes at the top. Additionally, the recommendations take into account all of your genetic variations covered in the report.
From the recommendations summary, SelfDecode provides the Impact and Evidence scores for each suggestions, so you can easily see which recommendation is most likely to work best for you.
Example of a recommendations summary:
As another standout feature, you can easily add recommendations to your regimen directly from your wellness reports. By doing so, you can keep track and edit your recommendations to fit your health routine. SelfDecode allows you to set the frequency and duration for each item.
Throughout the reports, SelfDecode also provides links to peer-reviewed scientific studies used to generate the reports and recommendations, so you can further explore the science.
SelfDecode offers over 300 DNA Health & Trait Reports covering topics including:
- Gut Health
- Heart Health
- Joint Health
- Blood Sugar
Review of SelfDecode Lab Analyzer
SelfDecode is bringing their advanced lab test analyzing software into the suite of tools available for SelfDecode members. While this software was previously an entirely different subscription, you will now be able to access all of the tools from one place with a single subscription.
The lab analyzer tool is designed to help you decipher your lab tests, track your results and get personalized suggestions on how to achieve optimal levels.
Interestingly, SelfDecode doesn’t just tell you what the “normal” ranges are for your lab test results, they explain what the optimal ranges are so that you can know when you need to make changes, even if your doctor said the results were “normal”.
Example of sub-optimal ferritin lab test results:
For each lab marker, SelfDecode gives you an overview of the lab marker in general, provides details regarding the health effects from your lab marker levels and then provides personalized suggestions to raise or lower your levels.
Example of personalized suggestions from the Lab Analyzer tool:
You can input your lab tests very easily by uploading an image or PDF of your lab tests and the lab analyzer tool will automatically pull the information from the document. You will be able to verify and edit the information, or you can always upload your results manually.
You can also purchase labs from SelfDecode, in which case your results will be automatically added to your account.
Review of SelfDecode Ancestry Reports
SelfDecode analyzes over 83 million genetic variants to give users an in-depth ethnicity percentage breakdown, as well as a color-coded map that can help them discover where they’re from.
In addition, SelfDecode’s AI-backed technology allows for the analysis of more data points than other ancestry companies, which provides a more accurate ancestry breakdown.
Users can trace their maternal lineage back through the ages, learning where they started in the world and their journey. You can also learn more about the history and culture that is connected to your DNA through extensive reports that help them get an even better understanding of your roots.
SelfDecode does not partner with any pharmaceutical or other data-mining companies and assures customers that privacy is a top priority.
They employ multiple layers of data protection, including:
- Secured data encryption
- Restricting internal access to any personally-identifying information
- Only collecting the minimum information necessary to provide you with the requested services
- Payment processing by secure and reputable companies, such as PayPal and Stripe
If you ever want your information removed from their database, all you have to do is submit a request and they will erase all of your information.
SelfDecode Customer Reviews
Reviews of SelfDecode from customers are highly favorable. SelfDecode shares testimonials on their website here, which includes video reviews from a number of customers.
You can also find reviews about SelfDecode on Trustpilot, where they have an excellent trust score.
Some of the main things that customers seem to enjoy about SelfDecode is the fact that it:
- Is easy to navigate
- Is more advanced and in-depth than other genetic analysis tools
- Provides personalized health recommendations based on your genes
- Is trustworthy and backed by scientific research
- Helps you improve your health and solve health problems
SelfDecode vs. Other DNA Analysis Tools
When it comes to analyzing your DNA, SelfDecode has some unique features and differences when compared to other DNA testing companies. Some of the differences include:
- Providing natural supplement, diet and lifestyle suggestions based on your genes that you can implement right away.
- Explanations regarding why they make each recommendation so that you can understand the science behind the suggestion.
- Providing a prioritized list of recommendations in their reports based on the analysis of all the relevant genes instead of one gene at a time.
- Taking a holistic approach to give recommendations that are best for your genes AND the health topic.
- Using AI and machine learning to accurately predict and analyze up to 83 million genetic variants from a typical DNA file.
- A team of over 60 highly skilled scientists, MDs, PhDs, NDs, and software engineers working to provide the best health information.
- Supporting all information with peer-reviewed scientific studies in our research and linking to references throughout the text.
- Checking for contradicting information when providing analysis and recommendations.
- Never selling your data or giving it away.
- Providing cutting edge ancestry analysis
SelfDecode Review Summary: Is SelfDecode Worth It?
You can upload your DNA to SelfDecode for free to get started. If customers prefer to access the entire platform, they need to sign up for an annual plan for $99/year.
If you need a DNA kit, SelfDecode offers two options:
- DNA Kit + Health Insights ($199), then $99/year after the first year
- DNA Kit + Health & Ancestry Insights ($249), then $99/year after the first year
You will receive an analysis of up to 83 million genetic variants from your DNA file. You can get more data out of your DNA without having to pay for expensive whole genome sequencing. By analyzing millions of variants, SelfDecode provides you with a complete picture of your health.
Considering all the valuable information about genetics and lab tests, coupled with personalized diet, lifestyle, and supplement recommendations designed to improve your health, SelfDecode is more than worth the cost of about $8/month.
Want to try before you commit to a plan? Upload your DNA for free.