Join the SelfHacked Community & get our welcome bonuses
Centrophenoxine is a powerful nootropic and memory booster. Apart from the improvement in mood and brain-function, this drug can also reverse aging. Read on to learn more about the benefits, mechanisms, and side effects of centrophenoxine.
What Is Centrophenoxine?
Centrophenoxine, also known as Lucidril and Meclofenoxate, is one of the earliest and most studied nootropics or so-called “smart” drugs. Originally developed in 1959, this drug has been widely used for treating age-related brain disorders, such as Alzheimer’s and dementia. It is also used by healthy people to enhance memory and cognitive function and improve overall brain health [R, R, R, R, R, R].
Centrophenoxine is a combination of two chemicals:
- Dimethyl-aminoethanol (DMAE), which is a natural substance found in some foods (fish, seafood) and in small amounts in the brain. It is a source of choline and has brain-stimulating effects [R].
- Parachlorphenoxyacetic acid (pCPA), a synthetic version of plant growth hormones called “auxins” [R].
DMAE is the main active component in this drug. DMAE doesn’t cross the blood-brain barrier well. However, within centrophenoxine, it can go through the blood-brain barrier and enter the brain effectively [R, R, R].
Once it is absorbed in the body, a portion of centrophenoxine breaks down into DMAE and pCPA in the liver. DMAE is then converted to choline, while the remaining centrophenoxine circulates throughout the body [R, R].
Centrophenoxine works by:
- Increasing acetylcholine in the brain. This is a neurotransmitter essential for memory and learning [R, R].
- Reducing lipofuscin. Lipofuscin is a waste product that builds up in cells (including brain cells) as we age. This is the same waste product that causes brown liver spots on the skin [R, R].
- Increasing glucose uptake (more energy) and promoting blood flow (more oxygen) in the brain [R, R].
- Increasing RNA production. This increases protein turnover in neurons where worn-out or free radical-damaged proteins can be more effectively replaced [R, R].
- Protecting neurons from oxidative stress by boosting antioxidant defenses [R, R].
Benefits of Centrophenoxine
1) Centrophenoxine Is Neuroprotective
Centrophenoxine protects nerve cells from oxidative damage due to toxin exposure or stroke. In rats with various types of brain injury, this drug reduced the damage caused by free-radicals and improved the resulting deficits in memory, cognitive function, and movement [R, R, R, R].
2) Centrophenoxine Improves Learning and Memory
This drug promoted the forming of long-term memories and increased alertness in a study of 60 healthy elderly subjects (DB-RCT) [R].
It also improved memory in 50 elderly patients with dementia (DB-RCT) [R].
Centrophenoxine also improved learning and memory in old mice [R].
3) Centrophenoxine May Improve Mood
It may also improve mood in humans. In a study of 80 healthy subjects, taking a drug containing DMAE for three months increased energy and improved wellbeing. Therefore, centrophenoxine may improve mood through its active DMAE component [R].
4) Centrophenoxine May Increase Lifespan
Centrophenoxine extends the lifespan of mice by 30 to 40% [R].
It also reverses the effects of aging in the brain by reducing free radicals and lipofuscin buildup in the rat brain (hippocampus), both of which are linked to neurodegenerative disease [R].
5) Centrophenoxine May Enhance Cancer Treatment
This drug enhances the action of specific types of cancer drugs that damage cancer cell DNA [R].
Although this drug has proven to be beneficial in older individuals, there are no scientific studies to back up its use as a nootropic in young adults.
Some users combine centrophenoxine with racetams.
However, there are no human studies that support this combination.
Also, pregnant women should avoid it because its DMAE component may cause birth defects [R].
Centrophenoxine boosts memory, concentration, and energy:
- “Definitely notice a focus increase, and there is probably a learning improvement as well. It seems I get more done when taking it, I suspect there is a subtle direct effect on goal orientated motivation”
- “Keeps the mind sharp”
- “Centro’ is definitely slightly stimulating. It also made me more confident and social”
- “Centro is the only choline supplement I’ve tried but in my experience, it has been very effective when combined with the racetams”
- “Prolonged use of high doses of 1000 mg to 1500 mg per day for a week caused depression”
- “Did have headaches for about a week which wasn’t fun but those have gone away”
- “I was in a hurry this morning and didn’t have time to take a capsule with a meal so I just took it with some water. 15 minutes later a dull heartburn starts. I drank some water and that seemed to help. It subsides around noon and I decide to have my lunch”
- “It tastes… awful. The only thing I’ve found to kill the taste is taking it with orange juice”
Check out Lab Test Analyzer!
Get personalized up-to-date science-backed lifestyle, diet, and supplement recommendations based on your lab tests!