Fucoidan is a type of polysaccharide found in seaweeds that has been researched for its anticancer effects. It may benefit those with osteoarthritis and cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy treatment. Read on to see the benefits and mechanisms of fucoidan.
- What Is Fucoidan?
- Mechanisms of Action
- Benefits of Fucoidan and Fucoidan-Rich Foods
- 1) Fucoidan May Help with Osteoarthritis Symptoms
- 2) Fucoidan May Help Fight Cancer
- 3) Fucoidan May Prevent Clots
- 4) Fucoidan May Fight Viruses
- 5) Fucoidan May Protect the Brain
- 6) Fucoidan May Protect Against Radiation
- 7) Fucoidan May Protect Against Chemotherapy
- 8) Fucoidan May Protect the Stomach
- 9) Fucoidan Protect the Liver
- 10) Fucoidan May Fight Malaria
- 11) Fucoidan May Help Prevent Kidney Stones
- 12) Fucoidan May Prevent Obesity
- Side Effects of Fucoidan
- Limitations and Caveats
- Drug Interactions
- Dosages For Fucoidan and Fucoidan-Rich Supplements
What Is Fucoidan?
Fucoidan is a complex sulfated polysaccharide derived from rich sources such as bladderwrack, other brown algae, echinoderms, and seagrasses [R].
- Anti-coagulant (prevents blood clotting)
- Anti-thrombotic (reduce formation of clots)
- Anti-angiogenic (reduces growth of new blood vessels)
Research in marine food sources has helped reveal many potential remedies for an array of health issues – most being attributable to the presence of fucoidan.
Mechanisms of Action
Fucoidan stimulates an increase in natural killer (NK) cells and a decrease of transcription factor AP-I, which is involved in cellular growth and division. Fucoidan also kills T-cell leukemia virus type I (HTLV-1) by inactivating NF-kB, a regulator of antiapoptotic proteins [R, R].
Fucoidan activates caspases 8 and 9, enzymes involved in programmed cell death [R].
Benefits of Fucoidan and Fucoidan-Rich Foods
1) Fucoidan May Help with Osteoarthritis Symptoms
In a pilot study of 12 people with osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee, 100 mg of a fucoidan supplement given for three months reduced symptoms of arthritis by 18% and 1,000 mg of fucoidan reduced symptoms by 52% [R].
Another study (DB-RCT) of 122 people with OA of the knee and hip, 255 mg of fucoidan from bladderwrack showed no difference in reduction of arthritis symptoms compared to placebo [R].
2) Fucoidan May Help Fight Cancer
Fucoidan extracted from bladderwrack cause cell death in various human cancer cells, including leukemia, breast cancer, stomach cancer, lung cancer, prostate cancer, and liver cancer cells [R, R, R, R, R, R, R].
Fucoidan blocked cell growth, caused programmed cell death, and suppressed formation of new blood cells in thyroid cancer cells [R].
The disease control rate (DCR) is the percentage of patients who have achieved complete response, partial response, and stable disease from a therapy. In a study (DB-RCT) of 54 patients with colorectal cancer, 4,000 mg fucoidan powder in addition to chemotherapy resulted in a DCR of 92%, compared to 69% in the placebo group [R].
3) Fucoidan May Prevent Clots
In a cell study, fucoidan increased the activity of proteins that block the coagulation process [R].
In a pilot study of 20 volunteers, 2,250 mg fucoidan for 12 days moderately decreased clotting ability by interfering with the final stage of the coagulation process [R].
4) Fucoidan May Fight Viruses
Fucoidans protect against many different species of viruses. Evidence for the effect of fucoidans against viruses include:
- Fucoidan strongly inhibited influenza A infection in mice [R].
- Fucoidan prevented herpes from entering cells in test-tube studies [R].
- Fucoidans stop viruses from replicating and increase immune defense functions [R].
- Fucoidan inhibited type 2 dengue virus in cell studies [R].
- Fucoidan blocked HTLV-1 (human T lymphotropic virus type-1) infection in cell studies [R].
- Fucoidan may be capable of preventing HIV infection by blocking the enzymes needed by the virus to replicate [R].
- Fucoidan demonstrated potent antiviral activity against herpes of all types: simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1), HSV-2, and human cytomegalovirus [R].
5) Fucoidan May Protect the Brain
Fucoidan prevented overactivation of microglia that may lead to neurodegeneration [R].
Treatment with fucoidan reduces the encephalitogenic response (brain swelling and spinal cord swelling) in encephalomyelitis [R].
6) Fucoidan May Protect Against Radiation
Fucoidan provided protection from radiation in cells and in mice [R].
7) Fucoidan May Protect Against Chemotherapy
In mice given chemotherapy, fucoidan prevented gut inflammation and increased the length of villi in the gut [R]
8) Fucoidan May Protect the Stomach
Fucoidan inhibited Helicobacter infections in the stomach by preventing the bacteria from sticking to gut walls [R].
9) Fucoidan Protect the Liver
10) Fucoidan May Fight Malaria
Fucoidan helped fight malaria infection in cell studies and in mice [R].
11) Fucoidan May Help Prevent Kidney Stones
Kidney stones can be caused by high levels of oxalate. In rats with excessive oxalate in their urine, fucoidan normalized oxalate levels. Fucoidans also improved antioxidant status and reduced the risk of developing stones [R].
12) Fucoidan May Prevent Obesity
Side Effects of Fucoidan
Fucoidan appears to be very well-tolerated, with no reported side effects.
Carotenodermia, oranging/yellowing of the skin, may arise from excessive dietary intake of seaweeds [R].
Limitations and Caveats
Most of the studies on fucoidan are in animals or isolated cells and there is a lack of clinical trials to support the existing research. Further clinical trials are needed to confirm if fucoidan benefits humans. Caution should be taken when applying this research to use in humans.
Dosages For Fucoidan and Fucoidan-Rich Supplements
Dosage for fucoidan ranges from 100 mg to 4,000 mg twice daily.
Dosage toward the lower end of that range may be effective for osteoarthritis symptoms [R].
Dosage towards the higher end may be more effective as an adjuvant cancer therapy.
“This product has improved my ability to recover. Stressors, which would have resulted in fatigue, are no longer as big an issue.”
“If you are struggling with anything cancer related, I would not hesitate in recommending this one of a kind supplement.”
“Bought this for a lung cancer patient, because heard of some positive reports of fucoidan on cancer treatment. Taken 10 pills per day for over 4 months. Recent CT scan shown further dispersion of cancer cells.”
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.
HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ARTICLE?