Join the SelfHacked Community & get our welcome bonuses
L. crispatus is a great probiotic for female urogenital health.
What is Lactobacillus crispatus?
Lactobacilli inhabiting the human vagina are the first line of defense in the female urogenital and reproductive tracts. Lactobacillus crispatus is prevalent in the healthy cervicovaginal microbiota, where it produces lactic acid, a potent broad spectrum bactericide and virucide, and acts as an immunomodulatory agent (R).
Health Benefits of L. crispatus
1) L. crispatus Promotes Female Urogenital Health
L. crispatus maintains normal vaginal microbiota and protects the genitourinary tract against pathological conditions (R).
L. crispatus reduces recurrent urinary tract infections in premenopausal women (R).
L. crispatus inhibits E. coli activity (R).
Cervicovaginal mucus with high L. crispatus concentrations can trap the HIV virus (R).
2) L. crispatus May Alleviate Allergies
3) L. crispatus has Differential Effects on the GI Tract
4) L. crispatus May Have Anti-Cancer Properties
- L. crispatus increases (R,R) and decreases IL-6 (R).
- L. crispatus decreases IL-8 (R,R,R) and IL-4 (R).
- L. crispatus increases IL-10 (R,R) and IL-12p70 (R).
- L. crispatus decreases TNF-α (R).
- L. crispatus induces NF-κB activation (R).
- L. crispatus increases IgA (R) and decreases IgE (R).
- L. crispatus increases CD4(+) CD25(+) FOXP3(+) Treg cells (R).
Check out Lab Test Analyzer!
Get personalized up-to-date science-backed lifestyle, diet, and supplement recommendations based on your lab tests!