Boron is a supplement with many purported benefits. It can help build strong bones and muscles, improve thinking skills, and even treat infections. Read more below to learn all about its great abilities.
- The Boron That I Recommend
- Health Benefits of Boron
- Boron Dosage
- Buying Boron
- Side Effects
- Amazon’s Bestsellers
Boron is a mineral of growing interest in past years. Its benefits contributing to arthritis, certain cancers, menopause, and testosterone levels have initiated several studies in the advantageous outcomes of its products.
Boric acid is another form of Boron that has its own health benefits.
This post will overview findings of positive effects associated with the use of Boron supplements, as well as possible adverse side effects.
The Boron That I Recommend
Health Benefits of Boron
1) Boron Improves Bone Health
Levels of Boron in patients with arthritis were significantly lower than patients without the condition. Intake of Boron strengthens bones and joints, accelerate the healing of broken bones, and helps prevent arthritis (R).
The United States Department of Agriculture conducted an experiment in which postmenopausal women took 3 mg of boron a day. The results showed that supplemental boron reduced excretion of calcium by 44%, and activated estrogen and vitamin D, suggesting a possible role in the suppression of osteoporosis (R).
Boron supplementation elevates bone mineral density (R).
2) Boron is Anti-Inflammatory and Helps Arthritis
Several studies have proven the reduction of pain among patients with arthritis.
In areas of the world where boron intakes usually are 1.0 mg or less/day, the estimated incidence of arthritis ranges from 20 to 70%. In areas of the world where boron intakes are usually 3 to 10 mg, the estimated incidence of arthritis ranges from 0 to 10% (R).
Boron increases the secretion of chemical mediators of inflammation which aids in healing, and regenerating cells, and reducing inflammation (R).
Boron induces growth of anti-inflammatory and bacteria eating cells (phagocytes) that help fight infection. The stimulation of these cells triggers heightened immune response and strength in killing foreign bodies (R).
3) Boron Fights Cancer
A chemotherapy drug, Bortezomib, contains boronic acid and has been approved by the FDA for the treatment of Multiple Myeloma (cancer of plasma cells). This drug sensitizes cancerous cells to apoptosis (cell suicide) and enhances sensitivity to other chemotherapy medications (R).
Boric acid has also been found to cause the resistance of DNA damage that may go on to cause cancer (R).
Boron Neutron Capture Therapy (BNCT) has been found in emerging studies to destroy cancer cells without killing surrounding healthy cells (R).
The injection of Boron elements has proven to inhibit growth and reduce the size of tumors in mice. This is done by utilizing high amounts of Boron to induce cell toxicity to the product, eventually killing the injected cells (R).
In mice with melanoma, this method also resulted in prolonged survival compared to those untreated (R).
4) Boron Increases Free Testosterone
This can aid athletes in improving their performance and overall physical strength and appearance (R).
5) Boric Acid Treats Yeast Infections
Boric Acid is a popular treatment to use for vaginal yeast infections. The powder is used to kill the yeast and prevent further infections (R).
6) Boron Helps Gets Rid of Kidney Stones
10mg daily increased the rate of kidney stone excretion. It also decreased the level of pain felt (R).
- Furthermore, it stimulated the secretion of TNF-α, IL-6, IL-1β, NO and the expression of iNOS by the LPS-primed macrophages. The effect was dose-dependent and most significant at a dose level of 4.6 mg/kg b. wt (R).
- It caused a dose-dependent increase in the antigen (OVA)-induced proliferation of the splenocytes, measured in terms of change in absorbance at 570 nm, showing a maximum increase (1.66 ± 0.08) at a dose of 4.6 mg/kg b. wt. borax, when compared with the stimulated group (0.92 ± 0.03) (R).
- In a single-blind cross-over trial, it resulted in a significant increase in plasma 17-B estradiol (E2) concentration (P < 0.004) and there was a trend for plasma testosterone (T) levels to be increased (R).
- Also, a measurement of glucan synthase activity in the membranes of strain YPH499 showed a constant decline with increasing BA concentrations (R).
Boron is found naturally in many foods consumed by humans on a daily basis. This includes fruits and vegetables such as apple’s, dates, prunes, raisins, and many nuts (R).
The normal dosage is 3mg a day.
The U.S. National Institutes of Health states that “Total daily boron intake in normal human diets ranges from 2.1–4.3 mg boron/day (R).
There is no recommended daily allowance. To stay on the safe side, adults should take no more than 20 mg per day by mouth. For vaginal infections, women should only use 600 mg of boric acid powder once or twice a day (R).
- Boron (Amazon)
There are no long term side effects (R).
Boron toxicity rarely occurs because body easily expels it. Symptoms include gastrointestinal tract problems, confusion, menstrual irregularities, and convulsions (R).
- 250 Capsules
- Serving Size: 1 Capsule
- 250 Servings Per Container
- Gives the body the type of minerals that it readily recognizes and absorbs fast because of its liquid Ionic state.
- Promote optimal bone metabolism, Evidence also suggests boron may support normal brain function.
- Support normal brain function.