Klotho is a protein that can make you more intelligent and live longer. Read on about how to increase it.
What is Klotho (Protein)?
Klotho increased intelligence by as much as 3% or a 6 point IQ boost .
People with genetic variants with higher levels of Klotho had a lower risk of heart disease .
Klotho significantly enhances our antioxidant balance .
Mouse Studies on Klotho
Mice bred for higher levels of Klotho:
- Had increased lifespan (between 19% and 31%) 
- Were more resistant to oxidative stress 
- Performed better in multiple tests of learning and memory 
- Better memory, indicated by more long-term potentiation, a form of synaptic plasticity 
- Had enhanced synapses and glutamate receptors 
- Doubled GluN2B levels (NMDAR subunit) in the mouse hippocampus . GluN2B enhances cognition [15, 16, 17] and dysfunction of this subunit contributes to Alzheimer’s [14, 18].
Mice bred to have lower levels of Klotho experience:
- Early postnatal death 
- Less myelination 
- Synapse shrinkage 
- Cognitive impairment 
- Infertility 
- Osteoporosis 
- Accelerated aging 
- Heart disease 
- Impaired vessel Nitric Oxide, less vasodilation and angiogenesis 
- Increased production of Calcitriol/Active vitamin D and higher blood calcium and phosphorous, which might be the cause of premature aging in one study .
- Increased ADH and Aldosterone . One study says that the excessive formation of Calcitriol in Klotho-deficient mice results in volume depletion outside cells, which contributes significantly to the shortening of life span .
How to Increase Klotho
- Exercise – in both humans and mice. Klotho only increases post exercise in people who completed a 16-week training program, with younger people having a bigger increase than older people. Based on mouse studies, it’s believed that muscle injury and new muscle cell secrete Klotho [8, 8].
- Vitamin D (Calcitriol) increases Klotho. However, Vitamin D supplements apparently don’t work in humans to increase Klotho, even when calcitriol goes up. In dialysis patients, vitamin D supplements actually decrease Klotho [24, 25, 26, 27].
- Insulin increases klotho. This is one downside to a really low carb diet .
- PPARgamma activators [13, 29].
- Activated charcoal by binding to a toxin that decreases klotho (Indoxyl sulfate) .
- Probiotics such as Acidophilus + L Lactis in aging mice .
- Cordyceps reverses the Angiotensin II decrease klotho .
- Gentian root extract – might simply stabilize some part of the process after its production .
- ACE inhibitors
- Statins (HMG -CoA reductase inhibitors) – might simply stabilize some part of the process after its production [34, 35, 33].
What Decreases Klotho
The following decrease klotho:
- Psychological stress and depression. Women under high chronic stress had low klotho compared with low-stress controls. Depressed people had even lower klotho levels [36, 36].
- Inflammation 
- Oxidative stress (such as H2O2) 
- Angiotensin II 
- Indoxyl sulfate, a product of protein degradation [39, 40]
- In dialysis patients, vitamin D supplements decrease Klotho 
If you have your genetic data sequenced, you can find out whether you have a high or low producing variation of the Klotho Gene.
The most significant Klotho SNP is:
If you want to analyze your genome, SelfDecode is the best tool out there to do that.
SelfDecode is a sister company of SelfHacked. The proceeds from your purchase of this product are reinvested into our research and development, in order to serve you better. Thank you for your support.