Join the SelfHacked Community & get our welcome bonuses
If you want to interpret your genes, you can use SelfDecode.
Klotho increased intelligence by as much as 3% or 6 point IQ boost (R).
Klotho diminishes age-related heart disease (R).
Klotho significantly enhances our antioxidant balance (specifically the thioredoxin/peroxiredoxin (Trx/Prx) system with the greatest effect on the induction of Prx-2) (R).
Mouse Studies on Klotho
Mice bred for higher levels of Kloth0:
- Better memory, indicated by more long-term potentiation, a form of synaptic plasticity (R)
Mice bred to have lower levels of Klotho experience:
- Early postnatal death (R)
- Less myelination (R)
- Synapse shrinkage (R)
- Cognitive impairment (R)
- Infertility (R)
- Osteoporosis (R)
- Accelerated aging (R)
- Heart disease (R)
- Impaired vessel Nitric Oxide, less vasodilation and angiogenesis (R)
- Increased production of Calcitriol/Active vitamin D and higher blood calcium and phosphorous, which might be the cause of premature aging in one study (R).
- Increased ADH and Aldosterone (R). One study says that excessive formation of Calcitriol in Klotho-deficient mice results in volume depletion outside cells, which contributes significantly to the shortening of life span (R).
How to Increase Klotho
- Exercise – in both humans and mice (R)….Klotho only increases post exercise in people who completed a 16-week training program, with younger people having a bigger increase than older people. Based on mouse studies, it’s believed that muscle injury and new muscle cell secrete Klotho (R).
- Calcitriol/Active vitamin D increases Klotho (R, R2). However, Vitamin D supplements apparently don’t work in humans to increase Klotho, even when calcitriol goes up (R). In dialysis patients, vitamin D supplements actually decrease Klotho (R).
- Insulin increases klotho (R). This is one downside to a really low carb diet.
- PPARgamma activators (R, R2)
- Statins/Red yeast rice (HMG -CoA reductase inhibitors) (R, R2) – might simply stabilize some part of the process after its production (R).
- Activated charcoal by binding to a toxin that decreases klotho (Indoxyl sulfate) (R)
- Gentian root extract– might simply stabilize some part of the process after its production (R),
- Probiotics such as Acidophilus + L Lactis in aging mice (R).
- Cordyceps reverses the Angiotensin II decrease klotho (R).
- ACE inhibitors
What Decreases Klotho
The following decrease klotho:
- Psychological stress and depression (R). Women under high chronic stress had low klotho compared with low-stress controls. Depressed people had even lower klotho levels (R).
- Inflammation (R)
- Oxidative stress (such as H2O2) (R)
- Angiotensin II (R)
- Indoxyl sulfate (R), a product of protein degradation (R)
- In dialysis patients, vitamin D supplements decrease Klotho (R)
The most significant Klotho SNP is:
Other Klotho SNPs:
Technical Aspects of Klotho
- Increased total protein levels of the NMDAR subunit GluN2B (R). GluN2B enhances cognition (R, R2, R3) and dysfunction of this sub-unit contributes to Alzheimer’s (R,R2). Klotho elevation nearly doubled GluN2B levels in post-synaptic density (PSD) fractions in the mouse hippocampus (R)
- Suppresses Wnt (R), Regulates ion channel clustering (R) and transport (R), Promotes FGF23 function (R)…
Health Tools I Wish I Had When I Was Sick
At SelfHacked, it’s our goal to offer our readers all the tools possible to get optimally healthy. When I was struggling with chronic health issues I felt stuck because I didn’t have any tools to help me get better. I had to spend literally thousands of hours trying to read through studies on pubmed to figure out how the body worked and how to fix it.
That’s why I decided to create tools that will help others cut down the guesswork:
- Lab Test Analyzer – a software tool that will analyze your labs and tell you what the optimal values are for each marker — as well as provide you with actionable tips and personalized health and lifestyle recommendations to help you get there.
- SelfDecode – a software tool that will help you analyze your genetic data from companies such as 23andme and ancestry. You will learn how your health is being impacted by your genes, and how to use this knowledge to your advantage.
- SelfHacked Secrets – an ebook where we examine and explain the biggest overlooked environmental factors that cause disease. This ebook is a great place to start your journey if you want to learn the essential steps to optimizing your health.
- SelfHacked Elimination Diet course – a video course that will help you figure out which diet works best for you
- Selfhacked Inflammation course – a video course on inflammation and how to bring it down
- Biohacking insomnia – an ebook on how to get great sleep
- Lectin Avoidance Cookbook – an e-cookbook for people with food sensitivities
- BrainGauge – a device that detects subtle brain changes and allows you to test what’s working for you
- SelfHacked VIP – an area where you can ask me (Joe) questions about health topics
Check out Lab Test Analyzer!
Get personalized up-to-date science-backed lifestyle, diet, and supplement recommendations based on your lab tests!