Klotho increased intelligence by as much as 3% or a 6 point IQ boost (R).
People with genetic variants with higher levels of Klotho had lower risk of heart disease (R).
Klotho significantly enhances our antioxidant balance (R).
Mouse Studies on Klotho
Mice bred for higher levels of Klotho:
- Better memory, indicated by more long-term potentiation, a form of synaptic plasticity (R)
- Doubled GluN2B levels (NMDAR subunit) in the mouse hippocampus (R). GluN2B enhances cognition (R, R2, R3) and dysfunction of this subunit contributes to Alzheimer’s (R,R2).
Mice bred to have lower levels of Klotho experience:
- Early postnatal death (R)
- Less myelination (R)
- Synapse shrinkage (R)
- Cognitive impairment (R)
- Infertility (R)
- Osteoporosis (R)
- Accelerated aging (R)
- Heart disease (R)
- Impaired vessel Nitric Oxide, less vasodilation and angiogenesis (R)
- Increased production of Calcitriol/Active vitamin D and higher blood calcium and phosphorous, which might be the cause of premature aging in one study (R).
- Increased ADH and Aldosterone (R). One study says that excessive formation of Calcitriol in Klotho-deficient mice results in volume depletion outside cells, which contributes significantly to the shortening of life span (R).
How to Increase Klotho
- Exercise – in both humans and mice (R)….Klotho only increases post exercise in people who completed a 16-week training program, with younger people having a bigger increase than older people. Based on mouse studies, it’s believed that muscle injury and new muscle cell secrete Klotho (R).
- Vitamin D (Calcitriol) increases Klotho (R, R2). However, Vitamin D supplements apparently don’t work in humans to increase Klotho, even when calcitriol goes up (R). In dialysis patients, vitamin D supplements actually decrease Klotho (R).
- Insulin increases klotho (R). This is one downside to a really low carb diet.
- PPARgamma activators (R, R2)
- Activated charcoal by binding to a toxin that decreases klotho (Indoxyl sulfate) (R)
- Probiotics such as Acidophilus + L Lactis in aging mice (R).
- Cordyceps reverses the Angiotensin II decrease klotho (R).
- Gentian root extract– might simply stabilize some part of the process after its production (R)
- ACE inhibitors
- Statins (HMG -CoA reductase inhibitors) (R, R2) – might simply stabilize some part of the process after its production (R).
What Decreases Klotho
The following decrease klotho:
- Psychological stress and depression (R). Women under high chronic stress had low klotho compared with low-stress controls. Depressed people had even lower klotho levels (R).
- Inflammation (R)
- Oxidative stress (such as H2O2) (R)
- Angiotensin II (R)
- Indoxyl sulfate (R), a product of protein degradation (R)
- In dialysis patients, vitamin D supplements decrease Klotho (R)
If you have your genetic data sequenced, you can find out whether you have a high or low producing variation of the Klotho Gene.
The most significant Klotho SNP is:
SelfDecode is a software partner of SelfHacked that can help you determine if you’re a high or low klotho producer.