L-Theanine is an amino acid commonly found in tea. Theanine, together with caffeine, produce a distinct cognitive enhancement profile without the jitters or other side effects. In addition, theanine has many other surprising health benefits. Read this post to learn more about health benefits of theanine.
- Health Benefits of Theanine
- 1) Theanine Reduces Anxiety and Stress
- 2) Theanine Improves Brain Function
- 3) Theanine Reduces Negative Effects of Caffeine and Improves Its Cognitive-Enhancing Effects
- 4) Theanine Protects the Heart and Blood Vessels
- 5) Theanine Is an Antioxidant
- 6) Theanine Increases Sleep Quality
- 7) Theanine Reduces Symptoms of Schizophrenia
- 8) Theanine May Enhance Th1 Immunity and Combat Stress-Related Weakened Immunity
- 9) Theanine As an Adjunctive Cancer Treatment
- 10) Theanine May Reduce Symptoms of Depression
- 11) Theanine Helps with Weight Loss
- 12) Theanine May Heal Stomach Ulcers
- How Does Theanine Work?
- Natural Sources of Theanine
- Side Effects of L-Theanine
- My Experience with Theanine and Recommendation
It is used to help improve mood and lower stress, and to protect the brain and heart (R).
Theanine usually refers to L-Theanine, which has more health benefits compared to D-Theanine.
Health Benefits of Theanine
1) Theanine Reduces Anxiety and Stress
After participants took L-Theanine, they performed mental tasks. Compared to the patients who took a placebo, they had lower stress symptoms, along with reduced heart rates and blood pressure (R, R2).
Supplemental doses of theanine that promote relaxation do not cause sedation (R).
In addition, theanine may also have stimulating effects when given at smaller doses, doses that are less than half the doses that promote relaxation (R).
2) Theanine Improves Brain Function
L-Theanine supplementation helps increase attention and improve memory.
In men and women who suffered from minor brain damage, a combination of L-Theanine and green tea extract improved memory during a mental exercise. It did so by increasing delayed recognition during a memory test (R).
The subjects’ attention span and alertness increased during the memory test as well (R).
3) Theanine Reduces Negative Effects of Caffeine and Improves Its Cognitive-Enhancing Effects
Theanine and caffeine are typically found together in tea. A combination of caffeine and theanine together significantly improves alertness, reduce fatigue, and improves task-switching accuracy (R).
High dose caffeine (250 mg, equivalent to 2.5 cups of coffee) has some negative effects, such as jitters and increased blood pressure. Theanine was able to mitigate the increase in blood pressure (R).
L-Theanine decreases the negative and jittery effects of caffeine in rats (R).
L-Theanine changes the pharmacological profile of caffeine in humans, as the combination of caffeine and L-Theanine have somewhat different cognitive enhancement effects. (R)
4) Theanine Protects the Heart and Blood Vessels
It also prevents fat peroxidation of LDL (low-density lipoprotein), which reduces the risks of hardening of the arteries (R).
5) Theanine Is an Antioxidant
The L-Theanine in tea exerts a dose-dependent antioxidant effect (R).
It also restored the antioxidant capability of liver cells, which helps prevent liver injuries (R).
In rats, it dose-dependently decreased oxidative damage and stopped inflammation (R).
6) Theanine Increases Sleep Quality
ADHD may cause sleep disturbances. Boys who took two 200 mg doses of L-Theanine daily for six weeks had a higher quality of sleep compared to ones who took a placebo (R).
They had higher sleep percentages and better sleep efficiency. Supplementation also decreased the amount of time the participants were awake during the night after sleep started (R).
7) Theanine Reduces Symptoms of Schizophrenia
8) Theanine May Enhance Th1 Immunity and Combat Stress-Related Weakened Immunity
The study showed that tea drinkers, when compared to coffee drinkers, had increased production of cytokines by T cells (R).
High cortisol generally suppresses the Th1 immune system and stimulates the Th2 immune system. In the presence of stress, theanine helps to reverse this trend. Theanine decreased suppression of the immune system and inflammation caused by high cortisol from endurance exercise (R, R2).
9) Theanine As an Adjunctive Cancer Treatment
10) Theanine May Reduce Symptoms of Depression
11) Theanine Helps with Weight Loss
Theanine, along with other components of green tea, reduced triglyceride and fatty acid levels in the blood.The food intake and body weight decreased in the mice given theanine (R).
12) Theanine May Heal Stomach Ulcers
L-Theanine healed stomach ulcers at a dose of 10 mg/kg body weight, but aggravated ulcers at a higher dose of 40 mg/kg body weight (R).
It alleviated the adverse effects of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs as an antioxidant and by stimulating prostaglandin E production(R).
How Does Theanine Work?
Theanine is able to cross the blood-brain barrier and affect the brain directly. In the brain, it targets brain chemicals that regulate arousal, anxiety, pleasure, and attention (R).
When administered to rats in the stomach, theanine is found in the blood after one hour, peaks in the brain at five hours, and is completely eliminated at 24 hours (R).
It also increases the levels as well as the effectiveness of GABA, the body’s main inhibitory neurotransmitter (R).
L-Theanine increases glutathione levels, the body’s most important antioxidant molecule (R).
L-Theanine and caffeine in combination are beneficial for improving performance on cognitively demanding tasks (R).
- The kidney preferentially reabsorbed and metabolized L-Theanine. The kidney preferentially excreted D-Theanine (R).
- Thus, phosphate-independent glutaminase in the kidneys hydrolyzed Theanine (R).
- L-Theanine augmentation was associated with a reduction of anxiety (P = .015; measured by the HARS scale) (R).
- According to the 5-dimension model of psychopathology, L-Theanine produced significant reductions on PANSS positive (P = .004) and activation factor (P = .006) scores compared to placebo (R).
- Stratified analyses showed that LGNC-07 improved memory and selective attention by significantly increasing the Rey-Kim memory quotient and word reading in the subjects with MMSE-K scores of 21-23 (LGNC-07, n = 11; placebo, n = 9) (R).
- L-Theanine increases brain serotonin, dopamine, and GABA levels with possible improvement in memory and learning (R, R2)
- Theanine exerts neuroprotective effects possibly through inactivation of group 1 metabotrophic glutamate receptors (R).
- L-Theanine promotes the release of alpha waves related to mental relaxation and concentration in young adults (R).
Natural Sources of Theanine
Side Effects of L-Theanine
In animal studies, oral intake of L-Theanine did not produce toxic effects even at very high doses (R).
However, when taking theanine supplements, you should pay attention to your use of other drugs.
Theanine can lower blood pressure. If you take medication for blood pressure, your blood pressure might go too low.
It can also lower the effectiveness of stimulant medications.
The appropriate dosage depends on the user’s age and health.
My Experience with Theanine and Recommendation
Theanine is relaxing for me, but not too sedating. It’s a good relaxer that doesn’t decrease cognitive performance.
I find that 50 to 200 mg of theanine taken daily provides optimal health benefits (R).
- Theanine (suntheanine)
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.
HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ARTICLE?