Green tea contains nutrients and antioxidants that provide many health benefits – from preventing cancer to improving brain function. Read this article to learn all about this nutritional drink.
- The EGCG That I Recommend
- Health Benefits of Green Tea
- 1) Antioxidants Found in Green Tea Can Lower Your Cancer Risk
- 2) Green Tea Promotes Brain Health
- 3) Green Tea Helps You Lose Weight
- 4) EGCG Reduces Heart Disease Risk
- 5) Green Tea Lowers Risk of Diabetes
- 6) Green Tea Fights Against Bacterial Infections
- 7) EGCG Has Anti-Inflammatory Effects
- 8) EGCG Improves Liver Health
- 9) EGCG Helps Skin
- 10) EGCG Prevents Baldness
- 11) EGCG Promotes Dental Health
- 12) EGCG Prevents Osteoporosis
- 13) Green Tea Can Help You Live Longer
- Buy EGCG Supplements/ Green Tea
- Interactions With Other Nutrients
- Side Effects
Green tea contains polyphenols and catechins , which are micronutrients found naturally in our foods that can act as antioxidants.
Epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) is the main polyphenol found in green tea and is known to have many beneficial effects on human health. The polyphenols can reduce the formation of free radicals, which play a role in diseases. This protects cells and molecules from damage. There are also minerals found in green tea that are important for health (R).
L-theanine is also found in green tea, and it is especially good for the brain.
Because there are no known health risks associated with green tea and no toxic level, green tea is a great way to help you become a healthier person (R).
The EGCG That I Recommend
Health Benefits of Green Tea
1) Antioxidants Found in Green Tea Can Lower Your Cancer Risk
Oxidative damage is known to cause various cancers in the body, so the many antioxidants found in green tea help lower your risk (R).
2) Green Tea Promotes Brain Health
EGCG and L-theanine both increase memory and attention in patients with mild brain damage (R).
L-theanine also has anti-anxiety effects and can help you calm down (R).
Green tea also reduced depressive symptoms and increased reward learning (R).
3) Green Tea Helps You Lose Weight
Green tea can help you lose weight in many ways.
It has been shown to increase your metabolism and help burn more fat (R).
Green tea suppresses appetite and leads to less energy consumption (R).
Green tea also interacts with other compounds that burn fat as well as adrenaline to increase the body’s metabolic rate (R).
EGCG suppresses an enzyme that breaks down norepinephrine, so this increases the amount of norepinephrine in the body. This hormone signals for more fat cells to be broken down, which can now be used as energy (R).
In addition to these properties, green tea can increase your endurance. The exhaust time for patients that drink green tea was extended. This means that you can exercise for a longer time and be able to lose more weight (R).
Consumption of green tea also decreases carbohydrate consumption as well as block fat absorption (R).
In a study done on overweight and obese women, green tea consumption resulted in more weight loss (R).
4) EGCG Reduces Heart Disease Risk
Green tea also lowers blood pressure by increasing blood flow in the body (R).
5) Green Tea Lowers Risk of Diabetes
6) Green Tea Fights Against Bacterial Infections
Green tea acts as an antimicrobial agent. Its properties can reduce bacteria spores in the body (R).
EGCG damages bacterial membrane and fights against infections (R).
Mouthwash with green tea in it also reduced plaque and gingivitis (R).
7) EGCG Has Anti-Inflammatory Effects
Polyphenols found in green tea helped prevent inflammation due to UV rays (R).
8) EGCG Improves Liver Health
9) EGCG Helps Skin
EGCG have anti-wrinkle effects and also reduced redness in skin (R).
10) EGCG Prevents Baldness
EGCG helps prevent baldness. The polyphenols in green tea can stimulate human hair growth (R).
11) EGCG Promotes Dental Health
The polyphenol also helps enhance the activity of dental adhesives (R).
12) EGCG Prevents Osteoporosis
13) Green Tea Can Help You Live Longer
Green tea increases N-acetyl aspartate (R), which can help with intelligence.
Green tea may lower thyroid function (R).
Buy EGCG Supplements/ Green Tea
- EGCG, quercetin, and carvedilol, have potent antioxidant effects as evidenced by reduction of MDA contents and resumption of SOD activities. EGCG, quercetin, and carvedilol could prevent telomere attrition and telomere repeat-binding factor 2 (TRF(2)) loss remarkably, whereas captopril and losartan had no effect on oxidative stress and telomere signal (R).
- Addition of green tea and black tea infusions (50 μl/ml) and EGCG (50 μM) to saliva, resulted in a sharp rise of OPO activity +280% (p = 0.009), 54% (p = 0.04) and 42% (p = 0.009), respectively. The elevation of OPO activity due to addition of green tea and EGCG was in a dose dependent manner: r = 0.91 (p = 0.001) and r = 0.637 (p = 0.019), respectively (R).
- When, however, the analysis was stratified using the median of the week-0 values, the decrease at week 24 in waist circumference, systolic blood pressure, and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in the catechin group was significantly greater than that in the control group for the above-median category (R).
- Polyphenols up- or down-regulated activity of a number of key enzymes, including mitogen-activated protein kinases and protein kinase C, and increased or decreased protein/mRNA levels, including that of cyclins, oncogenes, and tumor suppressor genes (R).
- EGCG with caffeine insignificantly raised EE and fat oxidation v. caffeine-only and placebo (EE 5.71 (SE 0.12) v. 5.68 (SE 0.14) v. 5.59 (SE 0.13) MJ/12.5 h, respectively; fat oxidation 84.8 (SE 5.2) v. 80.7 (SE 4.7) v. 76.8 (SE 4.0) g/12.5 h) (R).
- LGNC-07 led to improvements in memory by marginally increasing delayed recognition in the Rey-Kim memory test (P = .0572) (R).
- Based on a reduced proportion of body fat as estimated by bioimpedance measurement, increased liver-to-spleen CT attenuation ratio, decreased serum ALT levels and reduced urinary 8-isoprostane excretion, we concluded that 12 weeks of 700 ml per day of green tea containing >1 g catechin improved liver fat content and inflammation by reducing oxidative stress in patients with NAFLD (R).
Interactions With Other Nutrients
- Fish Oil and Fish: Fish oil worked together with catechins in green tea to increase fat and glucose metabolism while nutrients found in fish helped lower blood pressure (R).
- Ubiquinone: This supplement helps increase the effectiveness of EGCG’s antioxidant properties (R).
- Curcumin: Curcumin works together with EGCG to reduce tumor progression in colon cells (R).
- Vitamin C: This vitamin works with green tea to reduce cancer risk (R).
- Capsicum vanilloids: Found in hot peppers, capsicum vanilloids help fight against cancer by increasing cell killing ability (R).
- Vitamin E: Coupled with Vitamin E, green tea polyphenols improved exercise capacity, lowered glucose levels, and reduced body weight (R).
In rats, green tea consumption lowered testosterone levels by 20% and sperm count by 2%. This might affect reproduction (R).
Do not exceed 250mg of EGCG per a day, as more has been associated with live issues.
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.
HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ARTICLE?