This one mushroom offers immune support, reduces stress and anxiety, is anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, and much more. Read more about Reishi mushroom to learn why it is traditionally called “The God of Fungi.”
- My Experience With Reishi
- The Reishi That I Recommend
- Health Benefits of Reishi
- 1) Reishi Reduces Inflammation and Acts as an Antioxidant
- 2) Reishi Improves Anxiety and Depression
- 3) Reishi Enhances the Immune System
- 4) Reishi Relieves Allergies
- 5) Reishi Benefits the Heart
- 6) Reishi Helps Prevent Cancer
- 7) Reishi Helps You Sleep
- 8) Reishi Heals the Liver and Kidneys
- 9) Reishi Enhances Your Brain
- 10) Reishi Aids Gut Health
- Side Effects
- Buy Reishi
Ganoderma lucidum/“Lingzhi” (soul/spirit) mushroom, commonly known as “Reishi mushroom”, is a potent fungus which has been used for thousands of years in Chinese medicine. It is especially good at modifying the immune system by increasing it when weakened, or lowering it when it is too active (R).
It has 400 different bioactive compounds and these have been reported in scientific studies to have a number of effects including modification of the immune system, anti-inflammatory, anti-tumor, sleep promoting, antibacterial, antiviral, anti-diabetic, anti-oxidative, anti-aging and anti-ulcer to name a few (R).
My Experience With Reishi
The Reishi That I Recommend
Health Benefits of Reishi
1) Reishi Reduces Inflammation and Acts as an Antioxidant
14 days of reishi increased anti-inflammatory/antioxidant markers and protected the blood from oxidative damage. Researchers say this justifies the traditional use of Reishi by African and Chinese medicine as an anti-inflammatory agent (R).
2) Reishi Improves Anxiety and Depression
Breast cancer patients reported reduced anxiety and depression, as well as increased quality of life when they received reishi along with their cancer treatment. The group not receiving reishi did not report these effects (R).
3) Reishi Enhances the Immune System
Most people know about reishi for balancing immunity. G. lucidum can activate or deactivate certain parts of the immune system which is why it has a modulating role instead of a specific one area of action (R).
It contains high amounts of organic compounds that are proven to strengthen our immune cells and improve general immune system health (R).
It inhibits fungus growth up to 58% in 5 different fungal pathogens (R).
The extract showed significantly enhanced wound healing activity (R).
Reishi extract has potent anti-malaria activity while at the same time protecting against liver damage (R).
4) Reishi Relieves Allergies
Studies have shown reishi extract to reduce and inhibit all four kinds of allergic responses (R).
Reishi has been used for various conditions, including chronic bronchitis because it reduces histamine. Studies reveal compounds found in reishi effectively inhibits the release of histamine from mast cells and stabilized mast cells at the same time (R, R, R).
5) Reishi Benefits the Heart
It also reduced damage to the cells that line blood vessels (R).
6) Reishi Helps Prevent Cancer
It has significant benefits for multiple types of cancer including prostate and breast cancer. It does this via various mechanisms: inflammation reduction, and inhibition of cell and tumor growth. G. lucidum is useful for both prevention and possible treatment (R, R, R).
Preclinical studies have shown that reishi has potent anti-tumor activity and strengthens the immune system in advanced-stage cancer (R).
7) Reishi Helps You Sleep
Modern science has found that it is useful for sleep (R).
It goes well with melatonin and other sleep-promoting supplements. Here is a list of effective ways to enhance your sleep:
8) Reishi Heals the Liver and Kidneys
14 patients with proteinuria, a sign of kidney disease, used reishi. All 14 patients got rid of the proteinuria after using reishi and restored their immune system to proper balance (R).
In malaria-infected animals, Reishi protected against liver damage while also potently suppressing the malaria infection (R).
9) Reishi Enhances Your Brain
Reishi also improved the brain function of the alcohol-consuming rats, both increasing the energy supply to the brain as well as decreased the amount of mind slowing neurotransmitters that alcohol increases (R).
10) Reishi Aids Gut Health
It helps prevent ulcers from forming and lowers fat in the body as well (R).
- Serum malondialdehyde content decreased with a corresponding significant (P<0.05) increase in superoxide dismutase, glutathione peroxidase, glutathione S-transferase, and glucose 6-phosphate dehydrogenase activities in the extract-treated groups compared to the infected but untreated group (R).
- G. lucidum is the most effective inhibitor, with the lowest half maximal inhibitory concentration (64.09 ± 6.29 μg/mL) of the Nitric Oxide production (R).
- The experimental group showed statistically significant improvements in the domains of physical well-being and fatigue subscale after intervention with TNF-a, IL-6 (R).
- After 4 h administration of Reishi, the systolic pressure significantly decreased to 34.3 mmHg (19.5% change) and the effect was maintained up to 8 h of administration, with the decrease reaching as low as 26.8 mmHg (15% reduction-compare to base line a decrease of 26.8 mmHg is less than a decrease of 34.3 mmHg so it should give a smaller % reduction) (R).
- Additionally, our results show that Reishi inhibited convulsions in rats from Kainic Acid-induced seizures, reduced the degeneration pattern, decreased astrocytic reactivity, and reduced the expression of IL-1β and TNF-α induced by KA (R).
1-2 caps per day of this extract, taken at night or afternoon depending on your response to it:
Reishi most commonly helps you relax, thus promoting sleep, but for some, it can also increase energy and wakefulness. Try it out to see how it affects you.
One study showed no evidence for liver, kidney or DNA toxicity with reishi intake (R).
Although very rare, it may make some autoimmune conditions worse by activating/increasing the already overactive immune system.
Notes of caution: Some studies show it reduces NF-kB (inflammation) and some show an increase, so individual responses to it may vary. It might be most useful for balance/reduction of Th2 dominance and as an immune booster for Th1 dominance (R, R, R).