Insulin resistance disrupts our ability to effectively regulate our sugar intake. This can lead to health problems such as obesity, metabolic syndrome, and diabetes. Read on to discover 5 ways you can decrease insulin resistance.
- Insulin Resistance and Poor Health
- Methods for Decreasing Insulin Resistance
Insulin Resistance and Poor Health
The problem isn’t insulin, but rather insulin resistance. If you are insulin resistant your brain will not get the message that insulin is trying hard to convey (that you have high levels of sugar in your blood stream).
In this way, insulin resistance promotes hunger. You eat and insulin is released, but your body tells you to eat some more despite the ability of insulin to act as a satiety hormone. Hence why obesity is linked to brain insulin resistance (R).
When rats had their brain insulin receptors removed, they ate more, developed insulin resistance, and became obese [R].
There is a correlation between insulin resistance and fat accumulation in the liver [R].
Elevated blood free fatty acids (FFA) were shown to cause insulin resistance [R].
In diabetics, insulin resistance was shown to severely inhibit a marker for muscular performance (glycogen synthesis and uptake) [R]. Also, waist and thigh circumference (predictors of insulin resistance) were negatively correlated with the percentage of type 1 muscle fibers [R].
In prediabetic subjects, insulin resistance was linked to atherogenic changes [R].
There is a direct correlation between insulin resistance and chronic kidney disease pathology [R].
Methods for Decreasing Insulin Resistance
1) Weight Loss Decreases Insulin Resistance
If you are overweight, the single most important thing you can do is lose weight.
2) Exercise Decreases Insulin Resistance
3) Moderate Alcohol Consumption Decreases Insulin Resistance
4) Resistant Starch Decreases Insulin Resistance
5) Supplements that Decrease Insulin Resistance
Vitamins and Minerals
- Hi-maize resistant starch
- Kombucha tea, Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar
- Grape Seed Extract
- Ceylon Cinnamon
- Berberine – These supplements are good for overweight and thin people
- Stabilized R-Lipoic Acid
HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ARTICLE?