Join the SelfHacked Community & get our welcome bonuses
L. salivarius is great for your dental and overall health, relieves allergies and asthma, lowers cholesterol, and fights cancer.
What is Lactobacillus salivarus?
Lactobacillus salivarius is one of the most prevalent species in human saliva. It produces organic acids, such as lactic acid and acetic acid from carbohydrates, which can inhibit the growth of surrounding microorganisms, and produces hydrogen peroxide and other antimicrobial substances (R). This bacterium stimulates the immune system, alleviates intestinal disease and promotes well-being (R).
Health Benefits of L. salivarius
1) L. salivarius is Antibacterial
L. salivarius produces a bacteriocin, an antimicrobial substance, that can significantly protect mice against infection with the invasive foodborne pathogen Listeria monocytogenes (R).
2) L. salivarius is Beneficial for Dental Health
L. salivarius beneficially changed the bacterial population of gum plaque in volunteers (R).
L. salivarius increases resistance to caries risk factors (R).
Periodontal clinical parameters especially improved in smokers (R).
However, one study suggests that L. salivarius itself may possess an inherent cariogenic activity following adherence to the tooth surface (R).
3) L. salivarius May Combat H. pylori
L. salivarius suppresses H. pylori and reduces infection-induced inflammatory response in mice (R).
This inhibition is strain specific, though, and a study showed that 9 out of the 28 L. salivarius strains tested inhibited H. pylori growth (R).
4) L. salivarius May Relieve GI Inflammation
5) L. salivarius is Beneficial in Obesity
L. salivarius increases the ratio of beneficial bacteria (Bacteroides, Prevotellae, and Porphyromonas) to Firmicutes-belonging bacteria in obese adolescents (R).
6-week supplementation of L. salivarius along with fructooligosaccharide (FOS) significantly reduced total cholesterol, “bad” (LDL) cholesterol, and triglycerides, and increased “good” (HDL) cholesterol in humans. Blood inflammatory markers were also significantly reduced (R).
6) L. salivarius May be Beneficial in Diabetes
Treating diabetic mice with dead L. salivarius reversed gut microbial imbalance, restored mucosal antibacterial protein and lessened endotoxin levels (R).
7) L. salivarius Stimulates Liver Function
Pretreatment with L. salivarius improves acute liver injury in rats (R).
L. salivarius exerts a good health-promoting effect in acute liver failure (R).
8) L. salivarius Enhances the Immune Response
L. salivarius enhanced both natural and acquired immune responses (R).
9) L. salivarius Combats Dermatitis
10) L. salivarius Alleviates Asthma
L. salivarius decreases allergen-induced airway response in mice (R).
L. salivarius can alleviate the clinical symptoms, airway hyperreactivity and airway inflammation in mice with asthma (R).
L. salivarius decreases the secretion of proinflammatory cytokines and shows beneficial immunomodulatory activity in asthmatic subjects (R).
11) L. salivarius Combats Cancer
L. salivarius suppresses colon carcinogenesis in rats (R).
L. salivarius kills oral cancer cells and inhibits cancer growth in rats (R).
12) L. salivarius Prevents Breast Infection in Pregnancy
Oral administration of L. salivarius during late pregnancy appears to be an efficient method to prevent breast infection in pregnant women (R).
- L. salivarius reduces inflammatory markers such as hs-CRP, interleukins IL-6, IL-1β, TNFα and TGF-β (R,R).
- L. salivarius reduces elevated ALT, AST and total bilirubin (R).
- L. salivarius increases IL-10 and /or IFNγ (R, R).
- L. salivarius improves the Th1/Th2 balance in asthma mice (R).
- L. salivarius reduces eosinophil influx, IgE and eotaxin in asthma (R).
L. salivarius was shown to be nonpathogenic for mice, even in doses 10,000 times higher than those normally consumed by humans (R).
Use in patients with organ failure, immuno-compromised status, and dysfunctional gut barrier mechanisms should be avoided as it can lead to infections.
Buy Lactobacillus salivarius
These probiotic products contain L. salivarius:
- Lactobacillus salivarius Capsules (Amazon)
- Raw Probiotics (Amazon or iHerb)
- Probiotic-10 (Amazon or iHerb)
- Probiotic Flora (Amazon or iHerb)
Check out Lab Test Analyzer!
Get personalized up-to-date science-backed lifestyle, diet, and supplement recommendations based on your lab tests!