B. breve is a great probiotic that combats allergies, gastrointestinal infections, and inflammation in children. It is also good for the skin and combats obesity.
What is Bifidobacterium breve?
Bifidobacterium breve is a beneficial bacterium that can be found in human breast milk and the gastrointestinal tracts of infant and adult humans.
As an individual ages, the total population of B. breve within their gut decreases (R).
Health Benefits of B. breve
1) B. breve is Great for the Skin
2) B. breve Alleviates Allergies
Administration of B. breve to preterm infants triggers an anti-inflammatory response that may be of benefit in attenuating allergic reactions (R).
B. breve reduced the risk of developing eczema and atopic sensitisation in infants at high risk of allergic disease (R).
Oral administration of B. breve shortly after birth can significantly alleviate the symptoms of allergic rhinitis in newborn mice (R).
B. breve mediates anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic reactions in newborn rats (R).
3) B. breve May be Beneficial in Asthma
B. breve shows promising probiotic properties and beneficial immunomodulatory activity in allergic asthma (R).
B. breve has strong anti-inflammatory properties in asthmatic mice (R).
B. breve combined with fructooligosaccharides prevents allergic airway inflammation in mice (R).
B. breve with non-digestible oligosaccharides suppresses pulmonary airway inflammation, T cell activation and mast cell degranulation in mice with asthma (R).
4) B. breve Combats Obesity
B. breve reduced body weight gain and accumulation of visceral fat in a dose-dependent manner, and improved serum levels of total cholesterol, fasting glucose and insulin in a mouse model of diet-induced obesity (R).
Soy germ isoflavones fermented by B. breve lowered triglyceride (TG) levels and suppressed absorption of excessive lipids and fat cell differentiation in rats (R).
5) B. breve is Beneficial for the GI Tract
B. breve Positively Regulates Gut Microbiota in Infants
Early administration of B. breve to low birth weight infants is useful in promoting the colonization of Bifidobacteria and the formation of a normal intestinal flora (R).
B. breve significantly decreased aspirated air volume and improved weight gain in very low birth weight infants (R).
B. breve inhibits coliforms in laboratory settings (R).
B. breve Prevents Necrotizing Enterocolitis
B. breve was associated with decreased risk of necrotizing enterocolitis in neonates (R).
Oral administration of B. breve reduces the production of butyric acid in infants, which may be helpful in protecting low birth weight infants from digestive diseases such as necrotizing enterocolitis (R).
However, one study found no benefit in B. breve administration for prevention of necrotising enterocolitis and late-onset sepsis in very preterm infants (R).
B. breve suppresses inflammation, reduces the pathology and increases survival in rats with necrotizing enterocolitis (R).
B. breve suppresses inflammation in weaning rats with colitis (R).
B. breve May Alleviate Constipation and Diarrhea
Bifidobacterium breve together with Streptococcus thermophilus reduces the severity of acute diarrhea and dehydration among healthy young infants (R).
Bifidobacterium breve reduced the incidence, severity and duration of diarrhea in rats with rotavirus infection (R).
6) B. breve is Beneficial in Celiac Disease
7) B. breve Combats Infection
B. breve significantly inhibited rotavirus multiplication and prevented rotavirus infection in infants (R).
Oral administration of B. breve enhances antigen-specific IgA antibody against rotavirus and prevents rotavirus-induced diarrhea in mouse pups (R).
8) B. breve May Increase BDNF
9) B. breve May be Beneficial in Cigarette Smoke Associated Pulmonary Diseases
B. breve suppresses inflammatory agents in macrophages and may be useful in cigarette smoke-associated disease such as Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) (R).
- B. breve can limit excessive Th1 and Th2 responses (R).
- B. breve can reduce Th1 (R) and Th17 (R) and increases Th2 (R) and Treg (R).
- B. breve decreases IgE (R,R) and IgG1 (R) in allergies.
- B. breve can increase IgA (R) and IgG (R) in infection.
- B. breve increases TGF-β1 (R).
- B. breve mostly decreases TNF-α (R,R) (a study where it is increased: R).
- B. breve decreases IL-1β,IL-23 (R), IL-4 (R,R), IL-6 (R,R) and increases IL-8 (R), IL-21(R) and IL-27 (R).
- B. breve can decrease (R) or increase (R) IFN-γ.
- B. breve mostly increases IL-10 (R,R,R,R,R,R,R) (studies where IL-10 was reduced: R,R).
- B. breve increases FOXP3 (R,R) and CD4+CD25+Foxp3+Treg cells (R).
- B. breve decreases LPL, GPX2, LBP (R), CXCL8 (R,R) and HMGB1 (R).
- B. breve increases RANTES (R).
- B. breve can suppress NF-κB activation (R).
Probiotics are generally considered safe but should be avoided in patients with organ failure, immunocompromised status, and dysfunctional gut barrier mechanisms.
B. breve was shown to be a suitable probiotic for routine use in preterm neonates (R).
Adverse events related to the use of B. breve have an extremely low incidence and are mild in severity (R).
Buy B. breve
These probiotics contain B. breve: