- What is PQQ?
- The PQQ That I Use
- 1) PQQ Decreases Inflammation and Free Radicals
- 2) PQQ Creates New Mitochondria: The Role of PGC-1a
- 3) PQQ Improves Memory and Reasoning: The Role of CREB
- 4) PQQ Improves Brain Function By Increasing Nerve Growth Factor and Schwann Cells
- 5) PQQ is Neuroprotective Against Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and Cognitive Injuries
- 6) PQQ Protects Your Heart Against Stroke
- 7) PQQ Improves Sleep, Mood, and Fatigue
- 8) PQQ Decreases Insulin Resistance
- My Experience With PQQ
- Dosing of PQQ
- Buy PQQ
- PQQ Goes Well With
- Side Effects of PQQ
What is PQQ?
PQQ is a “Cofactor”, which just means that it helps enzymes accomplish their jobs. There is a class of these cofactor molecules that transfer electrons, which is important for our mitochondria to produce energy.
The main cofactors that transfer electrons that you might be aware of are glutathione (NAC increases), CoQ10, FAD, Vitamin C and NAD (Niagen NAD+ ). These have different functions in the body, so the effects won’t all be the same, of course.
The PQQ That I Use
1) PQQ Decreases Inflammation and Free Radicals
Healthy humans who took 20mg of PQQ (for a 150-pound male) resulted in significant decreases in the levels of C-reactive protein (by 45% after 3 weeks) and IL-6. A lower dosage didn’t decrease inflammation (R).
Various urinary markers of oxidative stress also improved, which is consistent with enhanced mitochondria-related functions.
2) PQQ Creates New Mitochondria: The Role of PGC-1a
Compounds reported to stimulate mitochondrial biogenesis are linked to many health benefits such increased longevity, improved energy utilization, and protection from free radicals.
Mice and rats fed diets lacking in pyrroloquinoline quinone (PQQ) have reduced mitochondrial content. The creation of new mitochondria by PQQ occurs through the activation of CREB and PGC-1alpha, pathways known to increase mitochondrial biogenesis (R).
As a result of activation of the PGC-1alpha pathway, PQQ increased NRF-1 and NRF-2, proteins (transcription factors) that protect us more free radicals by increasing our internal antioxidant production and can protect us from toxins, UV, etc.
3) PQQ Improves Memory and Reasoning: The Role of CREB
4) PQQ Improves Brain Function By Increasing Nerve Growth Factor and Schwann Cells
PQQ supplementation stimulates the production and release of nerve growth factors in cells that support neurons in the brain, a possible mechanism for the improvement of memory function it appears to produce in aging humans and rats (R).
5) PQQ is Neuroprotective Against Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and Cognitive Injuries
PQQ is a neuroprotective compound that has been shown in a small number of preliminary studies to protect memory and cognition in aging animals and humans (R).
PQQ increases a protein (DJ-1) that is important to brain health and function. This protein which increases cell function and survival by combating intensive oxidative stress and is likely important to brain health and function (R).
DJ-1 mutations have been conclusively linked to the onset of rare inherited forms of Parkinson’s disease and other neurological disorders.
PQQ also protects neurons by preventing the long-term overactivation of the NMDA receptors, which results in excitotoxicity. Long-term, overstimulation of neurons is associated with many neurodegenerative diseases and seizures (R1, R2).
PQQ also protects the brain against neurotoxicity induced by other powerful toxins, including mercury (R), and oxidopamine (R), toxins that are suspected to cause Alzheimer’s (R) and Parkinson’s (R) respectively.
PQQ also prevents aggregation of alpha-synuclein and amyloid-beta, proteins associated with Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s diseases, respectively (R1, R2). It also protects nerve cells from the toxic effects of the proteins that are already there.
6) PQQ Protects Your Heart Against Stroke
PQQ administration reduces the size of damaged areas in animal models of acute heart attack.
This occurs irrespective of whether the chemical is given before or after the ischemic event itself, suggesting that administration within the first hours of medical response may offer benefits to heart attack victims (R).
It could be useful to keep this on hand in case loved ones have an incident.
Researchers compared PQQ with the standard post-heart attack clinical treatment (metoprolol, a beta blocker). Both treatments reduced the size of the damaged areas and protected against heart muscle dysfunction. Only PQQ favorably reduced cellular damage (lipid peroxidation) and the effects were more significant. These results led the researchers to conclude that “PQQ is superior to metoprolol in protecting mitochondria from ischemia/reperfusion oxidative damage.” (R).
7) PQQ Improves Sleep, Mood, and Fatigue
PQQ improves sleep quality and lessens the time it takes to fall asleep.
One open-label human study conducted with 20mg PQQ for 8 weeks in 17 persons with fatigue or sleep-impairing disorder noted that PQQ was able to significantly improve sleep quality, with improvements in sleep duration and quality appearing at the first testing period after 4 weeks. It also led to a decrease in the time it took to fall asleep but required 8 weeks to reach significance.
This study also noted improved appetite, obsession, and pain ratings that may have been secondary to improved sleep; contentedness with life trended toward significance over 8 weeks but did not reach (R).
While this study was done in people with sleep problems, I’ve had similar benefits without sleep issues and others have reported similar subjective experiences.
8) PQQ Decreases Insulin Resistance
Inhibiting PTP1B also increases the activity of epidermal growth factor.
My Experience With PQQ
I first took PQQ when only one company was selling it – life extension, which I believe was 4 years ago. However, I’ve mostly been taking PQQ for the past 2 years on and off, to make way for other experiments. When I was having my high-fat diet meltdown, PQQ and ALCAR were the only things that had a significant impact.
- Increased metabolic rate,
- Increased cognitive energy,
- Better memory,
- Better mood,
- Increased metacognition,
- Works through hormesis – worsened performance from 45min-90min after ingestion, but then increased performance,
Dosing of PQQ
- 20mg PQQ. Only 20mg is capable of decreasing inflammation for an average weight male (R).
- I recommend to take it every other day or daily if you are trying to correct a problem.
Favorite PQQ products:
- PQQ by Dr’s Best (AMZN) or PQQ (IHERB) (relatively pure)
- PQQ and Ubiquinol by Jarrow (AMZN) or PQQ (IHERB)
- PQQ by Jarrow (AMZN) or PQQ (IHERB)
PQQ Goes Well With
- 200mg Ubiquinol
Side Effects of PQQ
- A possible headache if too much is taken