NAC has so many uses and can help people with a diverse set of issues, including mood disorders, brain issues, lung problems, sleep disorders, infections and in states of oxidative stress. It can even help protect you from the flu.
- The NAC That I Take
- Health Benefits of N Acetyl Cysteine
- 1) NAC Helps Protect Against Liver Damage
- 2) NAC Fights Against Cellular Oxidative Damage
- 3) NAC Helps Prevent and Treat Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- 4) NAC Helps Treat Chronic Bronchitis
- 5) NAC May Help Treat HIV
- 6) NAC Can Reduce Inflammation in Tissue
- 7) NAC May Help Prevent Cancer
- 8) NAC Can Reduce Insulin Resistance
- 9) NAC Can Protect From the Flu
- 10) NAC Can Help Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s
- 11) NAC Can Help Negate the Effects 0f Schizophrenia
- 12) NAC Can Prevent Addictive Behaviors
- 13) NAC Can Prevent Depression and Bipolar Disorder
- 14) NAC Can Prevent Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).
- 15) NAC Improves Intestinal Barrier Function
- 16) NAC Enhances Bone Regeneration
- 17) NAC Can be a Treatment of Sleep Disorders
- 18) NAC can be Used as Treatment for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)
- 19) NAC May Possibly Help ALS
- 20) NAC May Increase Survival Rate in Patients With Chronic Heart Failure (CHF)
- 21) NAC Could Increase Survival Rates in Patients Suffering From Heart Attacks
- 22) NAC Reduces Risk of Cardiovascular Disease
- 23) NAC May Help in Recovering From Brain Injury
- 24) NAC May Decrease Risk of Kidney Disease
- 25) NAC Improves Fertility
- Safety, Dosing and Timing:
- Which NAC to Buy
The removal of these reactive species is important because they will cause cellular and tissue damage if they are allowed to remain in cells [R].
NAC not only can be ingested into the body orally, but also through inhalation.
As seen below, the supplement can be used for many different purposes.
The NAC That I Take
Below, I give a bunch of different good options to buy NAC, but some people want to to know which one I take. I take 600mg every other day or so, but I used to take it daily.
Health Benefits of N Acetyl Cysteine
1) NAC Helps Protect Against Liver Damage
Many commonly used pain killer medications such as Tylenol and Vicodin contain a substance called Acetaminophen [R].
If taken in high quantities, Acetaminophen can be toxic to the liver and can cause liver failure [R].
N Acetyl Cysteine is commonly used to treat liver failure due to Acetaminophen and greatly increases the patient’s chances of survival [R].
2) NAC Fights Against Cellular Oxidative Damage
By replenishing Glutathione where it is needed in the body, NAC helps fight against oxygen radicals and in turn prevents cellular damage. This can be especially helpful if cells have been exposed to lead [R].
3) NAC Helps Prevent and Treat Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
The inflammation causes airways to become smaller leading to shortness of breath and coughing [R].
However, this extra Oxygen also counterproductively increases the production of toxic Oxygen radicals [R].
The introduction of NAC will decrease the concentration of these radicals and will help improve treatment efficiency [R].
4) NAC Helps Treat Chronic Bronchitis
Chronic Bronchitis is caused by the inflammation of the bronchial tubes [R].
This inflammation is often caused by oxidation damage. Chronic bronchitis causes coughing and mucous buildup in the lungs [R].
NAC will reduce symptoms in patients with Chronic Bronchitis by acting to reduce radicals in the bronchial tubes [R].
5) NAC May Help Treat HIV
It has been shown that high levels of NAC in the body can help prevent the reproduction of one strain of HIV, HIV-1 [R].
This suggests that cells with high NAC levels may be able to resist HIV infection [R].
NAC may be a good supplement to take for subjects who are HIV+ and are taking other medications.
6) NAC Can Reduce Inflammation in Tissue
Reduction of inflammation can relieve symptoms of different diseases or reduce risk of developing different diseases.
NAC also reduces inflammation after vigorous exercise, which allows for people to perform these exercises without too much soreness [R].
This can potentially lead to a better quality of life.
7) NAC May Help Prevent Cancer
NAC has been shown to help prevent multiple forms of cancer through a few different mechanisms.
It has also been discovered that NAC decreases the amount of cancer signaling molecules in the body, which in turn decreases the cancers ability to grow and spread [R].
Finally, it has been found that NAC can help in cancer treatment.
Ionizing radiation is often used to kill cancer cells. However, this radiation can often lead to more cancers developing in healthy cells through DNA damage [R].
NAC protects healthy cells from damage while allowing for cell death in cancer cells [R]. This reduces the risk of developing other cancers while ionizing radiation is used.
However, some studies show that NAC doesn’t go well with some cancer therapies. Speak to your doctor before taking NAC if you’re taking chemotherapy.
8) NAC Can Reduce Insulin Resistance
NAC has been shown to decrease insulin resistance in obese subjects.
This means that less insulin receptors are destroyed and cells become more sensitive to insulin [R].
This reduces the risk of developing diabetes 2.
9) NAC Can Protect From the Flu
NAC has been shown to reduce symptoms of the flu as well as protect from the flu.
NAC decreases the body’s inflammatory response when the flu develops in a subject [R]. This reduces symptoms experienced in that subject.
NAC also reduces the ability of the flu virus to replicate in cells [R]. Without the ability to replicate quickly, the virus is often fought off before it develops.
One study showed that older adults taking NAC only developed the flu 25% of the time while a population of the same age not taking NAC developed the flu 79% of the time [R].
10) NAC Can Help Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s
Alzheimer’s is a neurological disorder that slows down subjects’ learning and memory abilities.
Studies have shown that NAC may work to slow or negate loss of cognitive ability in mouse models of Alzheimer’s [R].
11) NAC Can Help Negate the Effects 0f Schizophrenia
Schizophrenia is characterized by failure to understand reality and abnormal social behaviors.
NAC can work to possibly minimize negative effects of schizophrenia [R].
A primate-specific gene locus G72 is linked to the development of these diseases by enlarging synapses in the brain.
When mice were treated with NAC, their synapses were normalized, indicating that NAC can play a part in helping with mental illnesses [R].
12) NAC Can Prevent Addictive Behaviors
Addictive behaviors include binge eating, drug addictions, and other compulsive behaviors [R].
NAC can reduce or eliminate these behaviors in rodent models [R].
The effects were mediated by normalizing the excitatory neurotransmitter glutamate [R].
13) NAC Can Prevent Depression and Bipolar Disorder
Symptoms caused by these disorders can be significantly improved by taking NAC [R].
NAC can also help in improving people’s ability to function while experiencing these symptoms [R].
14) NAC Can Prevent Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).
NAC can help with treatment in severe cases of OCD [R].
15) NAC Improves Intestinal Barrier Function
Treatment with NAC can help protect the intestines in cases where bacterial growth takes hold in rats [R].
NAC will also defend against oxidative injury, thereby improving barrier function [R].
16) NAC Enhances Bone Regeneration
NAC helps with enhancing bone growth and regeneration. It activates osteoblastic differentiation by interacting with other bone markers such as collagen and osteopontin [R].
NAC quickens mineralization and thus increases the rate of bone growth [R].
17) NAC Can be a Treatment of Sleep Disorders
NAC could help treat patients suffering from obstructive sleep apnea, a disorder where a person’s breathing repeatedly stops and starts during sleep.
Oral NAC administration appears to be a potential treatment for sleep apnea [R].
18) NAC can be Used as Treatment for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)
PCOS is a hormonal disease that causes problems with periods and difficulties getting pregnant.
Clomiphene citrate (CC), a drug that is used to treat the disease, only seems to work in 60-85% of women [R].
NAC can possibly be used as an alternative treatment for the disease [R].
19) NAC May Possibly Help ALS
NAC may possibly help ALS patients. In cell cultures, NAC prevents the degeneration of neuron cells [R].
20) NAC May Increase Survival Rate in Patients With Chronic Heart Failure (CHF)
NAC has been shown to improve these symptoms by decreasing inflammation and oxidative damage in the muscles [R]. This in turn increases the survival rate of patients with CHF.
21) NAC Could Increase Survival Rates in Patients Suffering From Heart Attacks
Patients suffering from heart attacks have less adverse cardiac events following the attack if given NAC [R].
Patients given NAC have also on average been able to leave the hospital earlier due to a quick and speedy recovery [R].
22) NAC Reduces Risk of Cardiovascular Disease
This can lead to strokes, heart attacks, and other severe consequences.
NAC can reduce this oxidative damage and help reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease in subjects [R].
23) NAC May Help in Recovering From Brain Injury
Brain injuries can be caused by drug overdoses, cerebral ischemia (not enough blood flow to the brain) , brain trauma, or other reasons.
Brain injuries can cause loss of cognitive function and memory [R].
NAC can act to help recover from these incidences and can help subjects regain their memory and cognition [R].
24) NAC May Decrease Risk of Kidney Disease
NAC can act as a protector against oxidative stress in the kidney and in this way prevent kidney failure (rats) [R].
25) NAC Improves Fertility
Safety, Dosing and Timing:
I think if someone has a comprehensive regimen with many other supplements, one 600mg cap a day is good enough.
A maximum dose of NAC has yet to be determined.
However, taking between 800mg-1,800mg of NAC is usually recommended.
NAC seems to be a safe substance with very few known long-term side affects.
The supplement can also cause drowsiness, mouth swelling, or clamminess if inhaled [R].
NAC does have a disagreeable smell that makes it hard to take in [R].
NAC should be taken with food, at any time, but preferably in the morning.
Which NAC to Buy
Any of the following NAC supplements are fine:
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.
HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ARTICLE?