The phenolic compounds present in olive leaves, especially oleuropein, have been found to have therapeutic effects for many conditions including high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, Alzheimer’s, and heart disease. It’s even known to prevent genetic damage and cancer growth. If you suffer from any of these conditions, find out how olive leaf extracts can help you!
- What is Olive Leaf Extract
- The Olive Leaf Extract That I Recommend
- Benefits of Olive Leaf Extract
- 1) Olive Leaf Extract Lowers Blood Pressure
- 2) Olive Leaf Extract Improves Cardiovascular Health
- 3) Olive Leaf Extract Prevents Cancer and Protects DNA
- 4) Olive Leaf Extract is Anti-Diabetes
- 5) Olive Leaf Extract is Anti-Obesity
- 6) Olive Leaf Extract Preserves Cognitive Function
- 7) Olive Leaf Extract is Anti-Inflammatory
- 8) Olive Leaf Extract is AntiBacterial, AntiFungal, AntiParasitic
- 9) Olive Leaf Extract is an Antioxidant
- 10) Improves Bone Density and Prevents Bone Loss
- Technical/Mechanisms Section:
- Potential Risks and Side Effects:
- Buy Olive Leaf
What is Olive Leaf Extract
Olive phenols and their derivatives are associated with many therapeutic properties. The health benefits gained from these polyphenols depend on how much is consumed, and on how much the body can absorb [R].
The Olive Leaf Extract That I Recommend
Benefits of Olive Leaf Extract
1) Olive Leaf Extract Lowers Blood Pressure
Oleuropein delayed the onset of an irregular heartbeat and decreased blood pressure in anesthetized rats [R].
2) Olive Leaf Extract Improves Cardiovascular Health
Long time consumption of olive leaf extract in rats with high blood pressure lowered systolic blood pressure, lowered heart rate, and reduced enlargement of the heart and kidney tissues. Overall, rats treated with olive leaf extract experienced improved blood vessel function, especially in the heart [R].
Oleuropein prevented the production of pro-inflammatory molecules [R].
3) Olive Leaf Extract Prevents Cancer and Protects DNA
Many studies support the idea that phenolic compounds, such as those found in olive leaf extract, play an important role in preventing cancer.
A recent study shows that olive leaf extract kills bone cancer cells and prevents them from multiplying [R].
In cells, oleuropein prevented cancer cells from replicating, spreading, and invadingother parts of the body, effectively reducing the size of tumors within 2 weeks [R].
Olive leaf extract prevented DNA damage in human blood cells. This suggests that olive leaf extracts may prevent the development of cancer by protecting genetic material [R].
A mouse study found that olive leaf extract prevents cancerous cells from multiplying and forces them to die [R].
The concentrations of olive leaf extract that are effective against DNA damage could easily be reached with normal consumption of olive oil [R].
4) Olive Leaf Extract is Anti-Diabetes
5) Olive Leaf Extract is Anti-Obesity
It seems that olive leaf extract can help fight obesity by preventing the body from generating more fat cells [R].
Another study found that oleuropein reduced fat-cell production in human bone marrow stem cells [R].
Oleuropein and hydroxytyrosol prevent pre-fat cells from maturing into true fat cells [R].
6) Olive Leaf Extract Preserves Cognitive Function
Studies conducted both in cells and in animals revealed that the phenolic compounds found in olive leaf extract (mainly oleuropein aglycone, and oleocanthal) have the potential to slow or prevent the onset of brain disease.
However, olive leaf extracts can prevent these misfolded proteins from entering the brain. This effectively reduced toxicity and tissue damage in mouse studies [R].
In a rat model of Parkinson’s Disease, olive leaf extract rescued brain cells from cell damage and cell death [R].
Even in the late-stages of Alzheimer’s, mice experienced improved brain cell function after being treated with oleuropein aglycone. This suggests that olive leaf extract can be used not only as a preventative measure but also as a therapeutic treatment [R].
7) Olive Leaf Extract is Anti-Inflammatory
During eye surgery, it’s important to keep the pressure within the eye consistent, and inflammation to a minimum. When rabbits were fed a diet high in olive leaf extract, researchers found that eye pressure was significantly decreased. This could help to reduce risk during eye surgery [R].
In a study of mice injected with cisplatin to induce kidney damage, oleuropein countered the damaging effects of cisplatin. Oleuropein lowered creatinine and blood urea nitrogen to normal levels. Oleuropein also reduced inflammation and prevented kidney cell death [R].
In a human brain cell model, olive leaf extracts prevented inflammation [R].
Surprisingly, oleuropein not only reduced inflammation at skin injury sites in aged mice, but it also promoted rapid healing [R].
8) Olive Leaf Extract is AntiBacterial, AntiFungal, AntiParasitic
Olive leaf extract has been tested for antibacterial action against lactic acid bacteria. Oleuropein was not inhibitory, but two of its hydrolysis products, the aglycone, and oleanolic acid inhibited growth of the four species of lactic acid bacteria tested [R].
Toxoplasmosis is inhibited by oleuropein treatment in kidney cells and in mice. Oleuropein effectively prevented cell death and tumor formation in mouse spleens and livers [R].
9) Olive Leaf Extract is an Antioxidant
Hydroxytyrosol is the olive leaf phenol that is most effective at acquiring unpaired electrons and neutralizing free radicals, followed by oleuropein and then tyrosol [R].
10) Improves Bone Density and Prevents Bone Loss
Studies suggest that olive tree products could prevent age-related bone loss.
A study on human bone marrow stem cells found that oleuropein increased bone cell production [R].
- Reduced the expression of PPARy [R].
- Inhibited adipocyte differentiation; Decreased gene expression of genes involved in adipogenesis, the PPARγ, lipoprotein lipase, fatty acid-binding protein 4, and minor fat accumulation [R].
- Enhanced differentiation into osteoblast; Increased gene expression of osteoblastogenesis markers RUNXII, osterix, collagen type 1, osteocalcin, and alkaline phosphatase [R].
- Increased collagen fiber deposition and epithelialization at skin injury sites [R].
- Increased VEGF expression [R].
- Reduced and normalized MDA and blood glucose levels in diabetic rabbits [R].
- Protective against reactive oxygen species and preserves mitochondrial function at a dose of 1-10 µg/mL [R].
- Prevented the reduction of left ventricular developed and systolic pressures, the rate of rise/decrease of left ventricular pressure, stroke volume, ejection fraction and cardiac output, and serum superoxide dismutase and glutathione reductase [R].
- Prevented the increase of serum malondialdehyde, interleukin-1β, TNF-α, creatine kinase-MB, and troponin I, lactate dehydrogenase, and infarct area [R].
- Increased expression of anti-apoptotic members of the Bcl-2 family, Bcl-2 and Bcl-XL [R].
- Diminished expression of anti-apoptotic antagonists Bim and p53 [R].
- Promoted cell death mainly through disruption of cell membrane integrity and late caspase-independent fragmentation of genetic material [R].
- Blocked tumor necrosis factor-a (TNF-a) from producing the inflammation marker cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2)
Potential Risks and Side Effects:
Olive oil and its extracts may lower blood pressure and blood sugar levels. Taking olive oil extracts in addition to medication for diabetes may cause blood sugar levels to drop too low. Taking olive oil extracts in addition to medication for high blood pressure may cause blood pressure to drop too low [R1,R2, R3].
Buy Olive Leaf
Best whole plant supplement:
- Olive Leaf (Paradise)