- Introduction to Mucuna Pruriens
- The Mucuna That I Recommend
- Health Benefits of Mucuna Pruriens
Introduction to Mucuna Pruriens
Mucuna Pruriens has been used in the ancient Indian medical system of Ayurveda for thousands of years to treat things ranging from infertility to Parkinson’s. Recent studies show that these claims are, in fact, substantiated (R).
Mucuna Pruriens is also known as velvet bean. M. Pruriens grows on trees native to southern China and eastern India but is now found throughout the tropics (R).
The Mucuna That I Recommend
- Mucuna by Paradise (AMZN) (no excipients) or Mucuna (IHERB)
- Mucuna by Absorb Health (15% L-dopa) (AMZN) (no excipients)
- Mucuna by Now (15% L-dopa) (AMZN)
Health Benefits of Mucuna Pruriens
1) Mucuna Pruriens Reduces Symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease
A reduction in the symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease is associated with the L-Dopa content of Mucuna Pruriens (R).
In a study done with 60 subjects, a statistically significant decrease in the symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease was found in patients treated with HP-200, a powder derived from Mucuna Pruriens, compared to the control, levodopa treatment (R).
In another study, Mucuna Pruriens (MP) was found to be just as effective as levodopa treatment, but MP had a faster absorption rate and reached peak level faster (R).
These two studies suggest that Mucuna Pruriens, a natural source of L-Dopa, has advantages over conventional sources of L-Dopa, levodopa, in the management of Parkinson’s Disease.
2) Mucuna Pruriens is an Antidepressant
The antidepressant effects of MP extract were investigated with the Forced Swim Test (FST) and Tail Suspension Test (TST). MP extract significantly reduced immobility time in the FST and TST (R). These results indicate that MP extract has antidepressant abilities.
3) Mucuna Pruriens Reduces Stress
In a study done to assess the effects of MP in infertile men who were under psychological stress, 60 infertile, stressed males were assessed based on a questionnaire and cortisol levels. 60 healthy, fertile males were used as the control.
In the infertile men, treatment with MP ameliorated psychological stress . The conclusion from this study is that MP helps manage stress (so far, this effect has only been shown in infertile men) (R).
4) Mucuna Pruriens Decreases Prolactin levels
High levels of Prolactin can lead to tumors in the pituitary gland which can cause headaches, visual impairment, and ED. Dopamine agonists like bromocriptine are usually used to treat high Prolactin levels, but MP which is also a dopamine agonist seems like it can potentially be used to treat mildly increased Prolactin levels (R).
5) Mucuna Pruriens can Treat Male Infertility
MP is commonly used as a supplement to treat male infertility and has been shown to increase sperm motility, sperm quality, and sperm count. In a double-blind study with 60 infertile men, treatment with MP (5 grams of powder daily) improved sperm count and motility (R). This study shows that MP increases sperm quality and can be used as a treatment for infertility.
In a study examining the effects of MP on infertile men, it was found that MP increased testosterone levels (R). This was only found in infertile men and it is unsure if the same effects occur in fertile men.
6) Mucuna Pruriens Can be Used as a Pretreatment to Cobra Venom
MP extract has been used by Nigerians as a prophylactic (pretreatment) for snakebites. A study done on rats investigated the protective effects of MP against cobra venom toxicity (R). The hearts of pretreated (with MP) and untreated rats were studied after venom dosing.
It was found that the MP pretreatment protected against the effects of snake venom on the heart (R). The protective effect of MP pretreatment against cobra venom involves a protective action of MP on heart function. This suggests that MP may have therapeutic potential as a protector of cardiovascular function.
For Parkinson’s Disease
In the two studies that showed a decrease in PD symptoms with MP supplementation, used dosages of 30 grams and 15 grams. Both these dosages were effective and didn’t cause any major adverse effects. I would suggest taking 5 grams daily with water.
5 grams of MP powder daily has been shown to increase sperm motility, count, and overall quality (R). Take with water.
(5 grams = 1 teaspoon)
- Mood Support*
- Standardized Velvet Bean Extract - Mucuna pruriens - 15% L-DOPA
- Vegetarian Formula
- Kapikacchu is the seed powder of the velvet bean, also known as Mucuna pruriens. It has been used as a nourishing herbal tonic in Ayurveda for over two thousand years, and it is often taken with milk and honey to enhance its energizing, revitalizing, and restorative nature.*
- Kapikacchu supplies a natural source of levodopa (L-dopa), an essential precursor to the neurotransmitter, dopamine. Kapikacchu supports the nervous system to maintain healthy muscular movements, proper sensation, coordination, and keen motor skills.*
- Revered as one of the best reproductive tonics for men and women alike, kapikacchu is an aphrodisiac, bolstering healthy sexual energy and libido. It also supports normal fertility, healthy sperm and ova, proper functioning of the reproductive organs, vitality, verility, and stamina.*
- Banyan Botanicals is committed to producing the highest quality Ayurvedic products using USDA certified organic herbs that are sustainably sourced and fairly traded. All our products are 3rd party tested to ensure product quality and safety.
- The Healthy Guarantee: If for any reason you are not satisfied with one of our products, we will gladly accept returns for a full product refund.