D-Chiro-Inositol plays an important role in insulin signal transduction, and can help relieve symptoms of PCOS. The body can easily absorb DCI and this substance has very little side effects. To discover my favorite substances and biohacks check out my ebook, SelfHacked Secrets. Download the first chapter for free here.
What is D-Chiro-Inositol?
DCI has an essential role in the pathways of mitochondria that generate energy from sugar (R).
Health Benefits of D-Chiro-Inositol
1) DCI Reduces the Effects of Diabetes
D-chiro-Inositol levels are low in people with type II diabetes. DCI supplementation has therapeutic effects in people with diabetes or who are resistant to insulin (R).
It also positively affects low blood sugar (R).
DCI helps create glycogen (a storage sugar) and reduces blood sugar levels by 21.5% in rats with type 2 diabetes. It also significantly decreased the amount of insulin in the bloodstream (R).
DCI stimulates insulin secretion in the Beta cells of the pancreas, which can help regulate glucose homeostasis (R).
D-chiro-Inositol supplementation reduces the onset of diabetes during pregnancy. It also decreases weight gain and low blood sugar in pregnant women with diabetes (R).
Combined with myoinositol, folic acid, and manganese, DCI helps improve blood sugar and fat parameters of pregnant women (R).
Diabetics can get bone-related diseases and osteoporosis. DCI inhibits the formation of osteoclasts, which can destroy bones (R).
DCI can protect the brain from diabetic neuropathy (nerve damage caused by diabetes) (R).
In diabetic mice, DCI reduced body weight, blood sugar, insulin, total cholesterol, total triglycerides (a fat), and LDL cholesterol levels (R).
2) DCI Can Help Treat Women With PCOS
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a disorder that causes problems with the menstrual cycle, blood pressure levels, insulin resistance, and obesity. D-chiro-Inositol levels are lower in women who have PCOS (R, R).
DCI supplementation can help treat PCOS and its symptoms. Metformin therapy can also elevate DCI levels in women with PCOS (R).
It improves the regularity of the menstrual cycle, reduces acne, and lowers insulin resistance in young, overweight people with PCOS. DCI also improves ovarian function and metabolism (R).
DCI also improves hormone levels in people with PCOS (R).
3) DCI Reduces Inflammation and Oxidative Damage
DCI also moderates inflammation and decreases the amount of tumor necrosis factor-α in fat cells (R).
It could also be a potential antiviral agent (R).
- The rats in the DCI high-dosage group had a blood glucose reduction rate of 21.5% after 5 weeks of treatment, and had insulin content in serum about 15.3 ± 2.37 mIU/L which was significantly decreased compared to the diabetes control group (R).
- After the treatment, several endocrine parameters improved (luteinizing hormone [LH], LH/follicle stimulating hormone [FSH], androstenedione and insulin), insulin response to oral glucose tolerance test reported the significant improvement of insulin sensitivity as well as the gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH)-induced (10 µg, in bolus) LH response (R).
- Therefore, it can be speculated that PCOS patients with hyperinsulinemia probably present an enhanced MI to DCI epimerization rate in the ovary that would result in an increased DCI/MI ratio (i.e., overproduction of DCI), and in an MI deficiency. This MI depletion could eventually be responsible for the poor oocyte quality observed in these patients (R).
- DCI supplementation can worsen oocyte quality and decreases the number of embryos in women with PCOS (R).
- It can cause abnormalities in metabolizing sugar in the placentas of pregnant women with high blood pressure (R).
- Large amounts of DCI might decrease the availability of myoinositol in the liver while increasing the amount of fat in the liver (R).
Check out Lab Test Analyzer!
Get personalized up-to-date science-backed lifestyle, diet, and supplement recommendations based on your lab tests!