S-Adenosyl-L-Methionine affects cellular function. It can help treat dementia and neurological disorders, liver diseases, and depression. Read more below to learn about its health benefits.
- The SAMe That I Recommend
- Health Benefits of SAMe
- Side Effects
SAMe occurs naturally in the human body and is synthesized from methionine (R).
Any changes in the availability of S-Adenosyl-L-methionine in the body affects cellular function. Abnormalities in its metabolism often result in liver diseases and neurological disorders (R).
Therefore SAMe has been used orally to treat liver diseases, fibromyalgia, affective disorders such as depression and neurological disorders, dementia and Alzheimer’s disease (R).
The SAMe That I Recommend
- 200mg SAM-e (AMZN) or SAM-e (IHERB)
- 400mg SAM-e (AMZN) or SAM-e (IHERB)
- SAMe without additives (AMZN)
Health Benefits of SAMe
1) S-Adenosyl-L-Methionine Improves Depression
Major depression is a common mental health disorder and for some patients, the standard method of treatment is often inadequate (R).
Sometimes the use of a supplementary medicine, such as high-dose s-adenosyl-l-methionine, along with antidepressant medication has proven to be beneficial (R).
SAMe produces therapeutic effects similar to common antidepressants and is relatively toxic free (R).
2) SAMe Helps Treat Liver Disorders
SAMe helps restore liver function in the presence of chronic liver diseases such as alcoholic and non-alcoholic cirrhosis as well as cholestasis (R).
SAMe reduced liver dysfunction in humans who had alcoholic cirrhosis over a two year period (R).
3) SAMe Improves Brain Function
Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) SAMe levels are significantly lower in severely depressed patients and in patients with Alzheimer’s or dementia. Treatment with SAM increased CSF SAMe and improved moods and brain function (R).
SAMe is linked to the folate cycle and vitamin B12 metabolism which provides methyl groups required for SAMe mediated methylation reactions (R). Mice raised on a diet deficient in vitamins B6 and B12 increased Alzheimer’s like features (R).
SAMe inhibits the increase of progression of these Alzheimer’s like features and also improves spatial memory (R).
4) S-Adenosyl-L-Methionine Treats Osteoarthritis
Osteoarthritis is associated with pain, stiffness and reduced range of motion in the body. SAMe alleviates the discomfort associated with osteoarthritis (R).
When tested on humans for knee osteoarthritis, it has a slower onset than other medication and there was no real difference in pain tolerability (R).
5) SAMe Reduces Symptoms Associated with Sjögren’s Syndrome and Fibromyalgia
It can occur alone or in conjunction with other connective tissue disorders such as Sjögren’s Syndrome. This syndrome is an autoimmune inflammatory disease that mainly affects mouth and eye glands (R).
In female patients with both conditions, SAMe usage drastically reduced the number of tender points and painful areas (R).
Patients with these conditions tend to have moderately severe depression. However, treatment with antidepressants worsen the oral and eye symptoms associated with Sjögren’s Syndrome. SAMe is an effective treatment as it improves mood without exacerbating these symptoms (R).
- S-Adenosyl-L-Methionine acts as a methyl donor in transmethylation reactions.Methylation reactions are critical in numerous cellular processes ranging from gene expression to membrane fluidity (R).
- The liver is responsible for the regulation of SAMe as it is the major site of its synthesis and degradation (R).
- SAMe is important in three biochemical pathways: transmethylation, transsulfuration, and aminopropylation.
- When SAMe molecules release methyl groups this results in the activation of the transsulfuration pathway which leads to the formation of glutathione (R).
- Glutathione is a cellular antioxidant responsible for detoxification of compounds in the body such as lead and paracetamol. These reactions show why SAMe is effective in treating liver diseases (R).
- SAMe is responsible for numerous transmethylation reaction such as those involving the synthesis of neurotransmitters (R).
- Antidepressants inhibit the reuptake of neurotransmitters, for example, serotonin. However, SAMe ‘s role as a methylating agent enhances synthesis of neurotransmitters associated with moods such as serotonin, norepinephrine, and monoamines (R).
For depressive illnesses, scientists recommend 200 to 400 mg per day for 15 to 20 days. (R).
- Doctor's Best SAMe Double Strength is proven to enhance mood and promote cognitive health
- SAMe is essential for the healthy metabolism of the major brain transmitters dopamine, serotonin and norepinephrine
- SAMe has been proven to promote joint comfort and mobility and supports liver health and detoxification
- SAMe's effectiveness has been proven with 18 controlled human trials published over 40 years
- Pharmaceutical grade, Non-GMO, Gluten Free, Vegan
- Pack of 36, double strength, mood-balancing, 400 milligram SAM-e tablets
- Clinically proven to help with mood support, joint comfort and liver health
- Replenishes chemicals that affect mood; contains 400 mg of SAM-e per serving tablet
- Relieves joint pain; repairs joint cartilage