Chinese Skullcap has been widely used for centuries in Traditional Chinese herbal medicine as an antiviral and antibacterial agent. It is also effective for Inflammation and Respiratory problems.
- Recommended Chinese Skullcap
- Health Benefits of Chinese Skullcap
Chinese Skullcap (Scutellaria Baicalensis), is a plant that belongs to the Mint family. It is also called ‘Baical Skullcap’ or ‘Huang Qin’ and used widely in Traditional Chinese medicine (R).
It is used to relieve the symptoms of nervous tension, including headaches, and some epileptics consider it an anti-convulsant. Research also suggests it has anti-cancer properties.
Baical Skullcap is a complex herb containing a number of active antioxidants and beneficial compounds. The most important of these is baicalin (R).
Recommended Chinese Skullcap
Health Benefits of Chinese Skullcap
1) Chinese Skullcap Reduces Inflammation
Baicalin found in Baical skullcap has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties (R).
Experiments in rats show that baicalin is effective in reducing pain and discomfort (R).
Mechanism: Anti-inflammatory action is through the dual inhibition of COX and LOX enzymes.
Baicalin may reduce the swelling of arthritis in human knees, but more research needs to be done on this.
2) Chinese Skullcap for the Treatment Of Respiratory Infections
A randomized single-blind trial in children showed that Baical skullcap (as a component of the herbal mixture Shuang Huang Lian) was effective in the treatment of acute bronchiolitis (R).
Its anti-inflammatory properties may soothe the air passages, helping suffering children feel better more quickly.
3) Chinese Skullcap Prevents Infections
Dried roots are effective against Staphylococci, cholera, dysentery, pneumococci and influenza virus (R).
However, it is best not to rely purely upon Chinese Skullcap for this and to take additional precautions in order to ensure safety from HIV/AIDS.
4) Chinese Skullcap May Prevent Cancer
The flavones (including baicalin) present within Skullcap root are strongly suspected to be potent anti-cancer agents, and could be hugely beneficial in the fight against cancer (R).
Flavones from skullcap might have growth inhibitory effects on prostate carcinoma (R).
S.baicalensis as a component of the Chinese herb complex (PC-SPES) is potentially active against advanced prostate cancer (R).
5) Chinese Skullcap May Prevent Miscarriage During Early Pregnancy
A combination of Skullcap root and Largehead Atractylodes rhizome is highly recommended for their benefits and survival of the fetus according to one Chinese study (R).
Baicalin does not interact positively with alcohol, lithium, diabetes medications, benzodiazepines, or statins.
It can cause drowsiness in some users, so is not advisable for people who operate heavy machinery or drive long distances.
- The flavones of Chinese skullcap show anti-tumor properties by their ability to scavenge oxidative radicals, reduce NF-kB activity, suppress COX-2 gene expression (R).
- Flavones of baical skullcap are potent anti-angiogenic compounds that reduce VEGF, bFGF, 12-lipoxygenase activity and MMP (R).
- Swanson Premium
- Swanson Full-Spectrum Chinese Skullcap 400 mg 90 Caps
- Per GMP guidelines set forth by the FDA, most products are formulated for 24 months from the date of manufacture. Liquids and probiotics are formulated for 12 months.
- As recommended by Stephen Buhner Protocol
- Chinese Skullcap