Chinese Skullcap has been widely used for centuries in Traditional Chinese herbal medicine as an antiviral and antibacterial agent. It is also effective for Inflammation and Respiratory problems.
- Recommended Chinese Skullcap
- Health Benefits of Chinese Skullcap
Chinese Skullcap (Scutellaria Baicalensis), is a plant that belongs to the Mint family. It is also called ‘Baical Skullcap’ or ‘Huang Qin’ and used widely in Traditional Chinese medicine (R).
Recommended Chinese Skullcap
Health Benefits of Chinese Skullcap
1) Chinese Skullcap Reduces Inflammation
Baicalin may reduce the swelling of arthritis in human knees, but more research needs to be done on this.
2) Chinese Skullcap for the Treatment Of Respiratory Infections
A randomized single-blind trial in children showed that Baical skullcap (as a component of the herbal mixture Shuang Huang Lian) was effective in the treatment of acute bronchiolitis (R).
Its anti-inflammatory properties may soothe the air passages, helping suffering children feel better more quickly.
3) Chinese Skullcap Prevents Infections
However, it is best not to rely purely upon Chinese Skullcap for this and to take additional precautions in order to ensure safety from HIV/AIDS.
4) Chinese Skullcap May Prevent Cancer
Flavones from skullcap might have growth inhibitory effects on prostate carcinoma (R).
5) Chinese Skullcap May Prevent Miscarriage During Early Pregnancy
A combination of Skullcap root and Largehead Atractylodes rhizome is highly recommended for their benefits and survival of the fetus according to one Chinese study (R).
It can cause drowsiness in some users, so is not advisable for people who operate heavy machinery or drive long distances.
- The flavones of Chinese skullcap show anti-tumor properties by their ability to scavenge oxidative radicals, reduce NF-kB activity, suppress COX-2 gene expression (R).
- Flavones of baical skullcap are potent anti-angiogenic compounds that reduce VEGF, bFGF, 12-lipoxygenase activity and MMP (R).