Luteolin is an important phytochemical found in many foods. Its health benefits range from possibly preventing cancer to protecting the brain. Read more below to find out how you can improve your health with the help of luteolin.
- Introduction to Luteolin
- The Luteolin That I Take
- Health Benefits of Luteolin
- 1) Luteolin Fights Cancer
- 2) Luteolin Decreases Inflammation
- 3) Luteolin is an Antioxidant
- 4) Luteolin is a Natural Sun Protectant
- 5) Luteolin Improves Heart Function
- 6) Luteolin Protects the Brain From Neurological Impairments
- 7) Luteolin is an Antiviral
- 8) Luteolin Prevents Cataracts
- 9) Luteolin May Be Therapeutic for Multiple Sclerosis
- 10) Luteolin Inhibits Mast Cells
- 11) Luteolin Has Anti-Depressant Effects
- Negatives/Cons of Luteolin
- Buying Luteolin Supplements
- Food Sources of Luteolin
- Amazon’s Bestsellers
Introduction to Luteolin
Flavonoids are common nutrients that are antioxidants and antimicrobial agents. [R]
The Luteolin That I Take
I don’t take luteolin because I notice any significant differences, but rather because I like to have it in low doses, as part of a preventative approach.
Health Benefits of Luteolin
Although Luteolin is absorbed in humans (R).
1) Luteolin Fights Cancer
Luteolin interferes with nearly all types of cancer cells. [R]
It inhibits the growth of new blood vessels in tumors, the metabolism of carcinogens, as well as stopping the progression of the cell cycle in cancer cells. Luteolin also induces cell death in cancer cells. [R]
In mice, luteolin suppressed growth of tumors formed from human skin carcinoma, hepatoma, and human ovarian cancer cells. [R]
Luteolin inhibited the incidence rate of tumors and decreased the size of tumors significantly. [R]
Long term treatment did not show any apparent toxicity in rats at a dose of 30mg/kg, implying that luteolin is relatively safe as an anticancer agent. [R]
2) Luteolin Decreases Inflammation
Experiments with animals show that luteolin suppresses bacteria-induced inflammation. [R]
Luteolin is also found to suppress two major pathways involved in response to inflammation, which greatly reduces both acute and chronic inflammation. [R]
Luteolin suppressed pro-inflammatory marker expression and cytokine expression in LPS-activated microglia. [R]
In an experiment on rats with toxin-induced uveitis, luteolin had great success in anti-inflammatory treatment, comparable to that of prednisolone. [R]
3) Luteolin is an Antioxidant
Luteolin significantly induces genes related to antioxidant defense. [R]
4) Luteolin is a Natural Sun Protectant
5) Luteolin Improves Heart Function
In an experiment on rats, luteolin was found to inhibit cell death in the cells of the heart. This suggest that luteolin can be used in the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular diseases. [R]
6) Luteolin Protects the Brain From Neurological Impairments
Tests on flies expressing a neurological impairment that resembles amyloidosis showed that luteolin rescued the impairment. [R]
Luteolin can go through the blood-brain-barrier (BBB), which shows anti-amnesic effects against the toxicity of amyloid in mice. [R]
Luteolin reduced the number of Epstein-Barr virus reactivating cells and reduced the production of the virus. It does this by repressing the activities of the promoters of the immediate-early genes Zta and Rta. [R]
8) Luteolin Prevents Cataracts
In rats, luteolin enhanced the antioxidant potential and lowered the oxidative damage to the lens’ of rats in selenite-induced cataracts. It also improved the membrane integrity of the lens. [R]
9) Luteolin May Be Therapeutic for Multiple Sclerosis
Multiple Sclerosis is a disease that affects the immune system – nerve damage causes pain and fatigue. Luteolin has anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory effects which can reduce the effects of multiple sclerosis [R].
10) Luteolin Inhibits Mast Cells
In this way, it can also help with histamine intolerance.
11) Luteolin Has Anti-Depressant Effects
The endoplasmic reticulum in a cell can undergo stress, which can cause cell death. In the brain, neuronal cells undergo cell death and this can cause symptoms of depression.
Luteolin significantly suppresses cell death by relieving endoplasmic reticulum stress. [R]
Negatives/Cons of Luteolin
1) Luteolin Disrupts Endocrine Activity
Luteolin can stop the effects of progesterone while increasing the effects of estrogen at the same time. [R]
2) Luteolin Can Aggravate Colon Inflammation
While luteolin can help stop spontaneous colitis, it can also increase the effects of dextran sodium sulfate (DSS)-induced colitis. It blocks protective molecules in intestinal cells which prevent inflammation in the colons due to DSS. [R]
Buying Luteolin Supplements
Artichoke is used as a source of luteolin.
Food Sources of Luteolin
Luteolin is found commonly in a bunch of plants, specifically vegetables.
- Swanson Ultra
- Swanson Luteolin Complex 100 mg 30 Veg Caps
- Per GMP guidelines set forth by the FDA, most products are formulated for 24 months from the date of manufacture. Liquids and probiotics are formulated for 12 months.
- Antioxidant Protection
- Supports Vascular Health and a Healthy Inflammatory Response
- Non-Citrus Source Vegetarian Formula